Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody around the southern Maryland area that would be able to help me with some broken upper rear shock bolts. Was putting a lift kit on and 3 of the 4 rear bolts broke. I would be willing to pay for some help.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
You'd likely have a lot better luck finding local help if you post your request in the Maryland forum area here at Maryland Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Keep in mind those bolts are not large so they can't be overtightened. Use of a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench is as large of a ratchet as you should use on those particular bolts. 1/2" drive ratchets can apply more torque than they can handle. And if they broke while being removed, it's too late for this advice but the next time, soak those bolts good several times with a good penetrant like Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break-Free. Nope, not WD-40. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Once the heads break you can try an air tool to punch them out from below, although on some TJ's the welded nut is REALLY welded on and you may need to cut it off the frame member with a Dremel or similar tool. This will be a slow process and you will go through a lot of cutting wheels. I had to do that on two of mine. If using a Dremel get the EZ Lock ttpe of wheels as they are bigger, going up through the hole where the shock top fits, while looking through the rear wheel well to see what tou are doing. Good times!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts