Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara 4.0 for two reasons. (1) I really like Jeeps and their ruggedness and (2) I want to do an engine swap. I’ll also do some cosmetic and suspension improvements as well. This forum is a great source of information and I draw on the vast amount of experience here.

First, as for timing, I’m sure it will be slow going. Right now, I have another engine that I’m building and need to get through that one first before tackling the Jeep.

Second, I am not a mechanic and have little experience with this type of endeavor. However, I am ambitious and driven. If I set my mind to something, I will get it done.

Therefore, I am sure I will be asking a ton of questions from you, the experts.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I pulled a 5.3 out of a wrecked 2003 Chevy Tahoe along with its transmission. I believe the transmission is the 4L60E, but not 100%. I’ll find out soon enough. I had never pulled an engine and it was quite an experience.

Okay, the first question: Should I use the transfer that came attached to the 4L60E or use the one that’s currently in the Jeep and find an adapter?

Thanks,
Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Tahoe tcase might be push button 4wd, no connection to the tcase with a lever. I would buy an adapter or use a S10 NP231 front half with the Jeep NP231 rear half or find a NP241 out of a late model Chevy truck. 92-94 or so.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You can put a np241c on the end of that 4l60e or you can get an adapter from Novak or maybe AA if the sell one, and put the np231 on the end of it. If you want to run factory gauges, I'd recommend the adapter rout. It's expensive up front, bUT will keep you from having to install a device from Dakota digital. I haven't gotten to the latter idea yet.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
There was someone that put a speedometer and ring on the 4l60e tailshaft between the transfer case though. That way you don't have to worry about telling the transmission you're in 4wd and it will shift properly no matter 2wd or 4wd. So either do thst, or go with the Novak adapter for your np231 in the jeep.

Edit: it looks like laggy suggested advance addapters, so I guess they do make adapters for transmission :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I snapped a pic of the label on the transfer case that came out of the Chevy (see attached image). BW4482? Is that what it is?

This is all new to me; I'm still learning. I'll have to research the different transfer cases and adapters suggested. I'm pretty sure the Chevy had a push-button 4WD as opposed to a lever. I prefer to leave the Jeep dash/gauges the same. I don't know what transfer case is in the Jeep now.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
It's a fulltime 44-82...http://jameshalderman.com/images/T_CASE_App_chart_BW_2.pdf

Jeep most likely has an NP231j

You're either gonna wanna stick with the 231j thats in there, go with a part-time np205, or Atlas if you want burly. Atlas is a fairly common unit that goes in jeeps. But this is based off of their tranny setups (ax15, nvXXX, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Honestly, I don't see why an np231 isn't up to the task. It's a workhorse. It's an inexpensive route because you already have it. You can get a variety of SYE's to accommodate double cardan driveshafts for a sky high lift. Parts availability is high. You can keep your stock shifter, and get a nice Saavy cable shifter!

If you're made of money, you could source a Rubicon 241OR Rock Trac 4:1. But with all the power of your swap 275/300+, i don't see the need for 4:1 crawl ability.

I totally forgot that Novak makes excellent adapters so you can clock for fitment issues.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/4l60e-to/kit-4l61/

Here's a good writeup on np231.
The Novak Guide to the New Process / New Venture Gear 231 Transfer Case

·
Registered
140 Posts
chevy 242 out of a 97 tahoe is what I'm using. No adapter needed. Same thing as a 231 but with 6 gear planetary. Late 90's GM with floor shifted 4x4 is what your hunting. And you can buy a SYE kit for them too... :) cheapest easiest route imho.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i used the front half of a 231c from a 4wd s-10 blazer and the back half of my 231j. The 231c is stronger with 6 gears and a bigger chain. Bolts right up and i added a super short shaft sye from Adams driveshaft.
only difference is that my swap is with a 5.7 tbi with 700r4

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I don't see why an np231 isn't up to the task. It's a workhorse. It's an inexpensive route because you already have it. You can get a variety of SYE's to accommodate double cardan driveshafts for a sky high lift. Parts availability is high. You can keep your stock shifter, and get a nice Saavy cable shifter!

If you're made of money, you could source a Rubicon 241OR Rock Trac 4:1. But with all the power of your swap 275/300+, i don't see the need for 4:1 crawl ability.

Since I'm quite green at this, I think I'll stick with the stock transfer case. I'll look for an adapter. I'm certainly not made of money, so I need a less expensive solution.

About slip yoke eliminators, is this a necessary piece? I've heard it absolutely is, but since I'm new to Jeep ownership, I don't have personal experience with it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chevy 242 out of a 97 tahoe is what I'm using. No adapter needed. Same thing as a 231 but with 6 gear planetary. Late 90's GM with floor shifted 4x4 is what your hunting. And you can buy a SYE kit for them too... :) cheapest easiest route imho.
Did you find a used 242 and mate it with your existing 231? That's an interesting option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you find a used 242 and mate it with your existing 231? That's an interesting option.
No I just used the whole NP 241 case itself My bad on the 242, I've owned 5 jeeps lol Its stuck in the brain.Anyways the Chevy 241 is a direct bolt in to a 4wD transmission provided you grab the little 2 inch thick OEM adapter off the back. They were used in Tahoe's and other GM trucks with floor shifters from 97-2000 ish bolted to the back of a 4L60E :beerme: And it's driver's side drop.

And you can go here for the SYE kit. These guys have amazing customer support and good parts.

JB Conversions, Inc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I meant to type 241.. It's a NP 241 :atomic:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
No I just used the whole NP 241 case itself My bad on the 242, I've owned 5 jeeps lol Its stuck in the brain.Anyways the Chevy 241 is a direct bolt in to a 4wD transmission provided you grab the little 2 inch thick OEM adapter off the back. They were used in Tahoe's and other GM trucks with floor shifters from 97-2000 ish bolted to the back of a 4L60E
And it's driver's side drop.

And you can go here for the SYE kit. These guys have amazing customer support and good parts.

JB Conversions, Inc.
I've got the same transfer case. What are you doing for the shifter?

1 - 20 of 343 Posts