Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinkin I need to check the fluid in the t-case, haven't got under it yet but where's the plug on it? And I know the specs call for a few fluids you can add but anyone got any preferences?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
The TJ's transfer case doesn't call for Dextron II. The Manual specified ATF+3 for older tcases and ATF+4 for newer TJs, depending on the auto transmission used that Year. Either is fine.

But the bottom line is the Wrangler's transfer case doesn't actually care which ATF it runs on, any good quality ATF is fine. Only an automatic transmission is fussy about the type of ATF it runs on.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The TJ's transfer case doesn't call for Dextron II. The Manual specified ATF+3 for older tcases and ATF+4 for newer TJs, depending on the auto transmission used that Year. Either is fine.

But the bottom line is the Wrangler's transfer case doesn't actually care which ATF it runs on, any good quality ATF is fine. Only an automatic transmission is fussy about the type of ATF it runs on.
Thanks for clarifying, just put down what I use.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Some of the commercial builders recommend Dino or synthetic oil but Chrysler specs an ATF

I think either Novak or advance suggested the lack of CAD or Manual hubs on a TJ which made constantly spin of chain ( though not loaded in 2wd)caused some frothing of ATF while the oil had some anti frothing additives

As you are past warranty either would probably be ok just maintain appropriate level

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AAP catolog calls for dexIII or merconV or a mopar approved product. Anyone considered lucas oil stabilizer? Or their trans stabilizer? I know lucas actually works well in a diff but idk about in the T-case

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is known for trapping air and causing froth, it is the last product I would use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts