Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 97 TJ sport 5 speed i have replaced the ignition ,the ignition switch the distributor cap and rotor button and it still doesn't want to start some of the time, it will turn over just fine and it's getting plenty of gas but it's not firing when it does it. it started doing it every once in a while now it does it quite often. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Hey all, I have a 97 TJ sport 5 speed i have replaced the ignition ,the ignition switch the distributor cap and rotor button and it still doesn't want to start some of the time, it will turn over just fine and it's getting plenty of gas but it's not firing when it does it. it started doing it every once in a while now it does it quite often. any help would be greatly appreciated
Possibly the CPS going bad or the ignition coil.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you notice the issue more when the engine is hot? Cold?

If only when hot, it's probably the CPS. Might be a good idea to replace that regardless, since they do fail frequently anyway. Otherwise, I'd agree the ignition coil seems likely if you know for certain it is getting consistent fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By CPS do you mean crank shaft position sensor sorry i'm no mechanic and a new jeep owner and it used to do it when it was hot but now it does it hot or cold. I believe its getting plenty of fuel because after i crank it a few times you can smell the gas. Thanks for the help

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
By CPS do you mean crank shaft position sensor sorry i'm no mechanic and a new jeep owner and it used to do it when it was hot but now it does it hot or cold. I believe its getting plenty of fuel because after i crank it a few times you can smell the gas. Thanks for the help
Yeah that's the sensor I'm talking about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
when u turn on key, can u hear sensors clicking under-hood & fuel pump running? if not, it's likely the cam position sensor under rotor button in distributor. if so, it;s likely cps....:thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
more likely cps then... it gets expensive throwing parts @ it... u can search on site 4 a free factory service manual.i think i found mine @ morris 4x4.. helps a lot if u do ur own repairs.. u can also go to chrysler support site & get a free 'build sheet that list everything in & on ur jeep, registor as owner so that u would receive any factory tech updates or recall info...

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you buy a cps get one from the factory, not a crappy one from rockauto or autozone etc...

It's worth the little extra for the factory cps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it still doesn't want to start all the time it still turns over good but will only start every once in a while. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Dd u check the fuel pressure. Next time you go to start it turn the key to the start position and wait 10 secs and then crank it. If it starts then u know its not holding pressure at the rail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried that and still just turns over but no start, after it turns over a few times you can smell gas. I guess i will try the camshaft sensor and coil next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well after $250.00 in parts and then $150.00 to a shop i got my jeep fixed it was the camshaft position sensor. Thanks to everyone for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts