Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shifting into second gear in my newly acquired 97 Tj 4 cylinder 5 speed I get a slight grinding and and the like a a grab feeling. I know this could be the clutch, but I?m hoping it?s not and hoping someone else maybe to support or confirm my fear of it being the clutch. The transmission fluid has never been serviced by the previous owner and it currently has 130,000 miles on it. I?m hoping that with the oil change it will shift a little better and help out a lot. Can anyone confirm if this will be true or you still believe that it could be the clutch or even worse something in the transmission ? Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Michael325,

Is it every time you shift? On our 97, it wasn't and the problem was a faulty transmission mount. Cheap replacement (considering) and good as new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: after changing the transmission and transfer case fluid I no longer have a grind into second shifts like butter however after every gear I enter and then release the clutch and go to accelrate again there?s a clank and grab noise. It sounds like something has play in it before it engages which scares me. I currently do not have my front drive shaft in as I bent it and am soon to be replacing it. So I know it?s not the knuckle where the drive shaft meets the front diff. I don?t think it?s my rear diff as I just had that done like 60 miles ago, with a true trac. I?m not sure if the true trac would make that noise and feeling though. I can?t imagine it would entering every gear. Also it?s hard to tell because my jeep is exceptionally noisy, but it sounds like it?s coming from my feet under the driver side, I don?t know if its possible the clutch or tranny could have any sort of play where its not grabbing right away. And sorry about the format of these posts I?m on mobile!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Update: after changing the transmission and transfer case fluid I no longer have a grind into second shifts like butter however after every gear I enter and then release the clutch and go to accelrate again there?s a clank and grab noise. It sounds like something has play in it before it engages which scares me. I currently do not have my front drive shaft in as I bent it and am soon to be replacing it. So I know it?s not the knuckle where the drive shaft meets the front diff. I don?t think it?s my rear diff as I just had that done like 60 miles ago, with a true trac. I?m not sure if the true trac would make that noise and feeling though. I can?t imagine it would entering every gear. Also it?s hard to tell because my jeep is exceptionally noisy, but it sounds like it?s coming from my feet under the driver side, I don?t know if its possible the clutch or tranny could have any sort of play where its not grabbing right away. And sorry about the format of these posts I?m on mobile!
I would check the condition of your transmission mount, as well as the nuts where it bolts to the skid plate (they might be loose).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts