Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn on the key and everything works normally except the engine won't turn over. Battery is okay. Ran a wire from small post on starter solenoid to battery. Jeep cranks perfectly. I think this means the starter is okay. Next I thought clutch safety switch. I watched a video where you can bypass the switch. I unplugged the switch and plugged it into the other plug for bypassing having to push in the clutch to crank. Still no cranking. Does this mean the clutch safety switch is not the problem? Also, what should I check next? Please help!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
My bet would be the ignition switch actuator pin since it sounds like you bypassed the clutch interlock properly.

This doo-dad... https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-7...automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

It causes your problem when it goes bad and they do go bad. Enough so that I carry a spare in my spare parts box in my Jeep's parts and tool box.

But before buying that, first try swapping the starter relay inside the Power Distribution Center with another similar size relay. Any relays inside the PDC that are the same size are interchangeable with the starter relay. A bad starter relay would cause the same symptom.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
Jerry - that part was the problem. I replaced it and now it cranks. Thanks for your help!
Nice work, congrats on getting it running again.

By the way, cranking is not the same as starting. It can crank but not start. But I knew what you meant. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts