Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

For the most part I just finished my swap on an OM617 Mercedes diesel into my TJ. I kept the AX-15 and all other drivetrain parts.

I took it for a spin yesterday and its pretty sweet. It's loud, that's for sure, but I'm sure it's because the Jeep has minimal (if any) sound insulation in it.

I'm trying to compile all my build pictures so I can post them, but I have a wiring related question. I've got all gauges working (speed, oil pressure, coolant temp, fuel level and voltage) but no tachometer. The battery gauge indicates that it's not charging and my multimeter on the battery confirms that.

I think they are two separate issues. I wired the crank sensor signal wire to the cam sensor (under the distributor) signal wire. I think it was blk/gry to yel/brn. Does the cam sensor still need to be hooked up for the power and ground wires? I scanned codes and obviously got a lot, but one was P0320 which I think is related to that?

I'll work on getting my pictures uploaded, but does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I just ran the gauge cluster self test and everything responded as it should. The tach also worked no problem when the 4.0L was still in it.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Your diesel has no ignition system to trigger the tach. Many diesels have a terminal on the alternator to run the tach or use a sensor that reads off the flywheel. Ck the MB specs to see which one they used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you on the lack of ignition system. The Mercedes setup used a sensor on the harmonic balancer and an amplifier of sorts to run the tach. That system has since been eliminated from the engine. I was under the impression that a TJ did not pick up the tach signal from the ignition system, instead it was from the hall effect crank sensor on the flywheel. I read that it needed to see some signal from the cam sensor in order to turn on?

I'm wondering if I need a new crank sensor (seems unlikely as it worked fine before swap and was not touched) or if I need a cam sensor plugged into the harness as a mule and then splice the signal wires of the two sensors together?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts