Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This should probably be moved to the Tech section, but I'll try.

Does your check engine light come on?
Have you checked for any codes on the OBDII port?
Have you changed your spark plugs/wires recently?
Have you cleaned the throttle body or checked the air filter?
You may want to also run a bottle of that STP engine treatment to your gas or get some Techron running through it to clean things up a bit too.

More info would definitely help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My chech engine light does not come on.
I had it checked for codes 2 weeks ago and they changed my 02 sensor, distibuter cao and rotary button. A week ago I put some fuel ingection cleaning in the tank.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'd try new plugs and wires, esp if they are the original ones. I did that on my 97 and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
before it shuts off put it in neutral and see if that helps and it doesnt die.. i also believe sparks and wires is really good advice. BTW keep in mind that fuel cleaner stuff dirties your oil like you have filled your engine with mud ;)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,127 Posts
It could be a dirty IAC (idle air controller) which when clogged/dirty, can cause the engine to idle roughly or even shut off. The IAC is what provides air to the engine when your foot is off the accelerator pedal so when it gets dirty and not enough air gets into the engine, those symptoms can develop.

The IAC is bolted onto the throttle body on the side nearest the head, away from you if you are looking at the throttle body from the drivers-side of the engine compartment. Remove the two torx-head bolts that hold it and then use a toothbrush etc. together with carb or throttle body cleaner to clean its plunger and the hole in the throttle body it fits into. Be careful with the plunger, don't twist or push/pull it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes you are right when it is trying to die if I put it in nuetral it completly recovers and runs fine. So what does that mean??:confused:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Might mean the torque converter is not unlocking properly. Does the torque converter still lock on the highway in 3rd/4th gear? Or is it ALWAYS locked :eek: even in 1st? Best way to tell, is to get in, start up the truck, drive to about 10-15 mph then stop normally. If it tries to stall, than get it up to highway speed, and watch your tach closely. You should see if drop 200-300 rpms after you hold the gas steadily in 3rd or 4th. Thats the torque converter locking. If yours doesnt drop RPMs, or it doesn't lock correctly, thats going to be your problem.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
thats what i guessed also.. torque converter problem

btw to shift from D to N you dont need to press the button you should be able to just slide the shifter so it will not go in R on accident since you need to press the button to get to R

·
Registered
1 Posts
last night my 99 jeep wrangler 2.5 automatic would die when I came to a stop. After restarting it and putting it into drive it would die. I could put it into reverse and if I backed up on a hill and let it roll down hill I could put into drive and go but everytime I would stop it would do the same thing. I am pretty sure it is the torque converter.
Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts