Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has Probly been covered however im unable to locate so any info is much appreciated.
Neighbor has a acquired a 2006 golden Eagle 4.0 married to a auto tranny. rig has 48000 original miles but frame rot.

Question is will that 2006 4.0 motor fit in my 1998 TJ sahara which currently has a 4.0 married to the AX15.

or am I gonna run into a bunch of headaches and therefore better off just rebuilding my original 225k motor (yes shes tired but still running strong) lol

Thank you in advance for advice and or assistance folks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
title says 2003 but its actually as article describes the swap would be with a 2006

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Very doable

First you want to keep 98 exhaust with no precats and less oxygen sensors

To marry 2006 head to 98 exhaust requires gasket for 98 and 06 plus an adapter plate which is sold online (this is because heads have different size and shape exhaust ports)

Can use either intake as both newer horseshoe shape and older straight runner fit both heads

I would keep 98 intake

Then use 98 PCM and distributor to replace the OPDA

Accessories could go either way kinda depends if you have want AC

Final significant issue is motor mount difference which will require fab work or finding an adapter (unlike exhaust adapter not sure if motor mount adapter even available ) or some welding

This is because bolt holes on side of block are different

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Also go with ax15 otherwise have to use 06 PCM and fit all the extra pollution Crap or won't have auto tyranny control

If really want auto use one from XJ as better auto and has stand alone PCM

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you Digger84 i figured it was the same block but def. a different appearance ill have to give this some more thought. and yes i would definitely keep the manual and the a/c

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Much more discussion here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/4-0-engine-compatibility-1405083/

Basically two basic versions of 4.0 block in Cherokee (XJ) and TJ and Grand Cherokee (ZJ and WJ)

First type used in
All XJ (thru last year in 2001). All ZJ thru last year in 1998 and 97-1999 TJ

Other version in all WJ 4.0 (remember WJ came out in 1999 replacing ZJ) and TJ 2000-2006

If you change from one group to other you have motor mount issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts