Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just starting to pull off the crappy Carter carb off of a jeep in very good factory condition my brother had garaged for 20 years and was wondering if just rebuilding the carb would make it more valuable? No body damage, 84K miles and in excellent condition. I have the Weber ready to put in. Am I making a mistake in modifying this survivor?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to the forum and nice ride! IMO, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Are you collector? Want to sell it or drive it? You could always keep the old carb and any parts for putting it back later?

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
I Am I making a mistake in modifying this survivor?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Does it run bad with the carter? I know on the old Cj'sif you cleaned the pickup tubes(fang like looking things) it made a world of difference.. As for value, most just want a good running jeep. Note its not going to add or subtract major amounts of value(if running good) with the carter.

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
I have a reman Carter and it's been fine for me. We don't have emission testing where I live, so I bought a non-stepper carb. That and a HEI distributor has been absolutely reliable.
If I were to replace the Carter, I'd go with the MC2100 rather than the Weber. Some posters here report that the Weber can be finicky to tune.
If you're familiar with carbs, the Weber will serve you well. Quadratec sells a Weber repair manual.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The first YJ i ever seen was a blue Islander and i thought it was beautiful. Nice Jeep!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
First not a 20 yr old 98... maybe a 30 yr old 88 tho....

Second, it's not worth $100 but since I'm so nice I'll give you $1000 right now..... LOL

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
I'll go 2k if you include the watercraft in tow.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Heck I'll go 2500 if you'll kick in a couple days use of a couch that close to the mountains ;)

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Looks like he already sold it...….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts