Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 98 TJ and I am having issues with the brakes. The pedal is solid at first but if you let off and re apply quickly it loses pressure. I have changed the master twice, the passenger side calliper, the proportioning valve twice, both rear wheel cylinders, a few bad lines, and I have bled 3 large bottles of break fluid through it. Far more fluid than I have ever had to put through a brake system. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you have no leaks, it sounds like the master cylinder is bypassing internally. Have you pulled the rear brake drums to make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Also, check the adjustment on the rear shoes. They should be just barely dragging for the self-adjusters to function properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the master could be bad that's why I replaced it but I have put in two new ones and still no change, have not found any leaks, any chance the brake booster could be leaking internally?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Booster could be leaking but usually that causes a hard pedal. With engine running and operating the pedal, are you hearing any vacuum noises? Also might want to pull the vac line loose from the booster and see if it has vacuum on it. If not, the diaphragm may be ruptured. One more thing I thought about but usually will cause it to pull when braking, what do your front brake hoses look like?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Look at your calipers is the bleed valve facing down or up? The valve should be in the up position. If it isn't that May be your problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check out all these suggestions and get back to you guys, thanks for the tips!!!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Just for giggles have you replaced your hoses ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts