Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all got my first jeep a couple says ago, a 98 sahara 4.0 5spd, and the front end needs some attention, mainly the axle u-joints and brakes. I figured if I'm taking it apart might as well do the wheel bearings and ball joints while I'm in there.

I plan on ordering all parts from rock auto.

I know that there's two different "sizes" of bearing assemblies and two different sizes of rotors. Rock auto has the different rotors listed but no designation on the bearing assemblies. So I guess my question is, is there a way to verify the rotors I order will fit the bearings I order?

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
The Mopar parts list with moparpartsonline.com lists one rotor three times, left, right and all but with the same part number 5015965AA for $80.04 each. NAPA lists three, the premium for $28.99 each, the ultra premium for $52.69 and "Reactive One - Hi Perf" for $77.49.

Are you sure the rotors listed by Rock-Auto are different sizes and not different "quality"? If the rotors are not warped (do you feel shimmy and shudder when you press on the brakes?) and the surface is scored, you might want to consider having them turned. If they are not warped and the surface is in good condition, then all you need are pads. Wheel bearings would be of one size, but there should be in inner and outer.

It appears on the mopar site that the hub and bearing come as a very pricey unit. However on CarID I did find these parts listed:
1998 Jeep Wrangler Wheel Hubs, Bearings & Seals – CARiD.com

You will have to get familiar with all the searches and just keep looking. I don't know where you were informed that there were two different sizes of rotors and bearings, but from the listings the Dana 30/35 use the same sizes of hub/bearings on the Wrangler. There may be a difference in 2003 and later with the Rubicon and Dana 44s front and rear along with larger wheels (16" vs 15" on all other models).

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Jeep changed from composite to cast rotors during the 1999 model year. The measurements of the early and late rotors are slightly different (about 1/4"). Along with that change, they changed the unit bearing hubs by the same amount to maintain the same wheel base.

If you have a "98" you have the early (composite rotors) which must be used with the early unit bearing hubs.

The attached pdf has the different rotor measurements, and the pic is of the early and late unit bearing hubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rock auto lists a 3" rotor and a 3.25" rotor. I assume that measurement is in reference to the height of the "hat" on the rotor.

I'm sure they need replaced, there's a 0.1" lip on them as if the previous owner rode the brakes all the time and replaced the pads several times and never had the rotors resurfaced.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Rock auto lists a 3" rotor and a 3.25" rotor. I assume that measurement is in reference to the height of the "hat" on the rotor.
Those measurements would be total height of the rotor and the early rotor (the one you would need) would be the 3.25" (taller one)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you ordered your parts yet? I was just curious about rock auto's shipping costs. I was thinking about getting some parts from them myself for my 02 sahara. Front axle as well. Could you let me know how your experience with them goes. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ordered your parts yet? I was just curious about rock auto's shipping costs. I was thinking about getting some parts from them myself for my 02 sahara. Front axle as well. Could you let me know how your experience with them goes. Thank you.
I've ordered from rock auto several times, the shipping varies by part and they have several locations they ship from so you may get hit with multiple shipping charges. They do tell you before you submit the order if you will be getting parts from multiple locations. Also after you place your first item in your cart you will see a small truck shaped icon by some items in the catalog. The items with the truck icon will ship from the same location as other parts in your order thus lowering the shipping charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts