Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I bought a 98 TJ SE with 85,000 on it a few months ago, no problems whatsoever. Took it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they recommended flushing and refilling the coolant, said it was rusty and possibly really old coolant. Not knowing how old the coolant really was i had them do it (along with all the rest of the fluids (transfer case, differentials, oil, etc...). Ever since then (3 days ago) after driving a while, i'll stop and open the hood and theres coolant sprayed around the cap, on the underside of the hood and on the fan and dripping. Not a whole lot, and its not overheating at all. Just concerned that maybe the flush opened up some previously clogged holes or something? You guys run into any similar situations? I called Jiffy Lube and told them and they said to bring it in and they'll take a look. Just want to know if i should be saving for a new rad :) Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave. I'll check it out. Recommend just letting it run with the hood up and see where it starts leaking? After some research it looks like rad service isn't all that bad price wise. Thanks again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey dave. Hasnt gotten any worse. But im taking it to a real mechanic this morning. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
But im taking it to a real mechanic this morning.
Even a non-mechanic should be able to see a leak. It could be something as simple as an improperly seated radiator cap or an overflow hose knocked loose.

Like Yogi says, "You can observe a lot just by watching."

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is not always true. I had a radiator fail. Could find the leak w/o the right tools. A seam failed and it only leaked under high pressure and it was so slight only steam exited and could not be seen. It was not until the mechanic pressurized the system will cold did we find beads of water develop

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
That is not always true. It was not until the mechanic pressurized the system will cold did we find beads of water develop
And you have to be a mechanic to pressurize the system? There are plenty of parts stores that will even lend you a pressure tester for free.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Check the tightness of the upper rad hose clamp going in to the thermostat housing too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out the plastic top was cracked all along the seam, just eeeever so slightly. Nice new shiny rad and hoses put in yesterday. I dont mind paying for peace of mind. Next up, cleaning the fuel system ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts