Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air conditioner only works essentially in the morning, and then only works for a little while once it gets warm in the engine compartment, compressor kicks off. I checked the connector that goes to the compressor, has power when cold, no power when warm. Does anyone know what supplies power to it? It has good freon charge and I have replaced the high and low cut off switches. Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had that problem with my truck once and it turned out to be my fan clutch was bad and not moving enough air across the condenser.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
If the blend door is routing the cooled air thru the heater core there is no ac system that can overcome that amount of added heat

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should explain a little better,the compressor is the issue, it works great until it gets warm. It then kicks off and don't kick back on. Once it cools back down, it will work again. I even ran a direct 12v to it, with the same results. I figure it has to be some kind of gizmo failing due to heat. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
So you are confident that the electromagnetic clutch is the issue?

Makes no sense but if you are sure replace it

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Based on your description it's clear that some device is overheating and causing an open circuit. Can you try swapping the AC relay with one of the others in the power distribution box.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
If jumping plus 12 from battery to wire at clutch does not close it don't see how it could be relay related as if it is an electrical problem it would have to be distal to the jump point

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tried swapping the relay and got the same results, so it's not the problem. With putting 12v direct to the clutch and getting the same thing I'm really inclined to believe it's an issue with the a/c compressor clutch, I don't see how it could be anything else. Thanks again and all future inputs will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts