Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should my 98 TJ have ABS brakes? i have 35's and have a hell of a time stopping. I noticed it last week in the snow. we got about 3 or4" of snow and on flat ground going 5-10mph I could not stop......front tires lock up and i slide.

·
Registered
892 Posts
they dont come with ABS as standard.
also ABS dont reduce stopping distance, sometimes increases such as in snow and mud.
you need to be very gentle on snow and brake early.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
should my 98 TJ have ABS brakes?
ABS was optional on the 1998 TJ. It was only available with the 4.0L engine, and only with the Dana35 rear axle.

we got about 3 or4" of snow and on flat ground going 5-10mph I could not stop......front tires lock up and i slide.
If your tires lock up and slide in the snow, the reason you couldn't stop was due to your lack of traction--blame your tires. (Or blame your technique for not easing off the brake pedal. Try pumping gently next time.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
not necessary. if he could lock up, the brakes are powerful enough.
Yup,if hes locking up the front, bigger brakes to match the 35,s wont stop him any quicker.I think the rear drums are out of adjustment or not working at all.You would notice that quick in the snow.I have 35,s and basically stock brakes,and I stop fine in the snow,matter of fact,with the rear drums adjusted correctly,I stop pretty good on dry pavement also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts