Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled fuse no. 4 behind of glove box. Messed with all the door switches. Only way to get the lights to turn off it pull the IOD fuse. I’ve reset the battery. And everything I can find. Lights still won’t turn off.. any advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hit my glove box hard with my knee crawling over from passenger to driver with the doors closed and it shut off ... ANY ideas on where I need to look ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sound like the door switch is not working as they should

Have you try to take the door switch out and disconnect the wire? (If I'm not mistaken, when the door is open, the switch make contact, door close the switch break contact)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.
So I noticed when it doesn’t turn off.. I bang on my steering wheel and they turn off ... what wires do I got to look at ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Remove the 2 switches, and pull the wires off, see if that makes a difference, if it works I would say your switch/s are faulty

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thank you. I will toy with it more tomorrow. I’ve been trying to read forums and what not for the past 4 hours, while smoking a turkey. If anyone else has anymore in put besides this please mention anything.. thank you

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I had a door switch fail, not electrically, but mechanically. The adjustment ring on the barrel of the switch failed and the body of the switch pushed forward when the door closed so the door did not push on the plunger.

Keep in mind that the switches do not provide a hot to the lights, but access to the ground. The hot goes to the lights and then the ground is activated by the switches.

Pulling the fuse should have turned the lights off even with the doors open. The fact that when you hit the glove box door or the steering wheel indicates that you have a wire somewhere making ground contact even when the doors are closed.

The way I found it on mine was to open the door and look at the switch. It appeared to be too short and when I pressed on the plunger, the lights went off. I realigned the switch but it immediately went forward again when I closed the door. But, pulling the fuse did turn them off.

I later put a switch in the fuse circuit so I could turn off the switch when the doors were off. https://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_200.htm

If it is your door switch, you can go Mopar 4687558 or aftermarket.

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-switch-4687558

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_5004_14.htm

But I am concerned about the fact that pulling fuse #4 didn't kill the lights. Unless the ground is going through fuse #4. That would indicate the circuit is going to ground somewhere in the wiring, most likely behind one of the kick panels. Open each door (one at a time) and press and hold the switch. If neither one does the trick, then pull each switch and unplug the wire connector from the switch. If neither turns of the light then you definitely have a wiring problem.

Reactions: 98tj_jason

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Then somewhere, one of the wires from the lights to the switch has a connection to ground.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. : lowered the height of me steering wheel and it’s fine now

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Sometime when you get a chance, you might want to take off the shrouds around the lower dash and see if raising the steering wheel pinches a wire. If it does, look at where the pinch is on the wire and see if it has nicked the insulation. A simple piece of tape will stop that in the future.

Raising and lowering the SW by itself, should not cause that issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts