Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take my 98 Sahara to the dealer to have the computer flashed and when the service advisor came out to talk to me he said I would need to replace the oil pan gasket and wanted 500.00 for it.
I said let me check with my fellow TJ owners.
So what should I do and what should it cost?
thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Holy crap is he givin u the shaft I just replaced my oil pan gasket and rear main seal takes no time at all just remove the pan which is just a bunch of bolts clean the surface and put the new gasket in total cost: 19.99 for the oil pan gasket and 14.99 for the rear main

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
yeah. Im dreading doing it. you drop the exhaust out of the way, while it is on jack stands of course, then remove the oil pan, make sure you keep all of the bolts in their correct spot on the pan, they have diffferent types... it would be helpful if you had a shop manual.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mine was just two bolts were the manifold mounts to the pipe and then it dropped out of the way, mind u I had the skid plate off as well, since I was changing the transmission

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just did it myself. 2 bolts on the exhaust and I had to remove my starter. stripped the torques head but got a tool from sears and took it off. went back with pan heads. easy job and will save you a ton of money and you know it is done right if you do it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Is it leaking or just seepage and they want to increase their profits. Have you looked under the jeep to look it over. Are there puddles under the engine after parking for a while. It may be nothing to worry about. I use to work for a dealer, back in the 70's and profits were the only thing they cared about so I left and went into corporate life. We were instructed to sell you as much additional repairs as you can. Remember the service advisor is on commission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts