Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Jeep is now ~ 12+ years old and has 94K miles. I have replaced the front sway drop links once already a few years back and need to do so again. I figured I'd do the rear as well this time and add a set of coil spacers while I am working on it. I also picked up a set of 2006 Rubicon springs with only about 2500 miles on them. They have a slightly higher # of 130AA vs my 128AA. I figure the old ones are sagging by now. So my question....I picked up new front and rear sway bar links from NAPA. The rear ones look totally different than the ones that are on my Jeep. Mine are steel, but the new ones from NAPA are plastic!! Did they sell me the wrong rear sway bar links?

Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plastic sway bar links???? I would pull the metal one out and take them both to NAPA to show them. I will NEVER put plastic one on my Jeep (I don't even think they exist). You sure it's plastic ... Not just a covering on top of metal?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The bushing inside is nonmetallic (which is normal) but the link itself should be metal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic

Heh heh yeah...no it isn't. I know metal from injection molded plastic. It might be a fiberglass of some kind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oem?

Mine are OEM...the original set on my '98 Sport and they are steel. What year did they switch over to plastic? I wanted an OEM set, but didn't know they would be plastic!!! Mine are steel, original...I am the original owner!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, the OE plastic ones on my Jeep didn't last long before they started clunking. I don't believe that had anything to do with the plastic though, just poor bushing material. Spraying oil on them every month or so would quiet them down.

A place that's essentially a Jeep shop, having a junkyard full of old Jeeps, put new steel ones on and siad I would never have to replace them again. That was about 3 years ago. The're "good".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts