Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, newby here. How can I tell what type of diffs I have? I.e. Dana 35 or 45? I was looking at changing the gaskets for the front and rear diffs as step 1 of 100 to fix the leaks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am asking about the "Dana" for future reference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
you make your own gasket with gasket sealant, or buy a reusable "Lube Locker"

·
Knows a couple things...
49,124 Posts
Your front axle is a Dana 30 and your rear axle is either a Dana 35c or a Dana 44... not a Dana 45. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kevbz said:
you make your own gasket with gasket sealant, or buy a reusable "Lube Locker"
X2. I never use a gasket. Just a thin layer of black or gray rtv.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all

·
Knows a couple things...
49,124 Posts
X2. I never use a gasket. Just a thin layer of black or gray rtv.
It took several years of convincing from friends & forum recommendations for me to finally switch away from using black RTV to using a Lube Locker gasket for the diff covers. I'll never use RTV there again... using a Lube Locker gasket under the diff covers instead of RTV probably cuts 30 minutes off the job. :)

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yeah, but getting to scrape all that old RTV off is part of the fun & tradition. :thumb:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
It took several years of convincing from friends & forum recommendations for me to finally switch away from using black RTV to using a Lube Locker gasket for the diff covers. I'll never use RTV there again... using a Lube Locker gasket under the diff covers instead of RTV probably cuts 30 minutes off the job. :)
I will have to try that stuff. The rtv is some messy stuff but I guess you stick with whatcha know. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts