Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 wrangler. My ? is the rear door or whatever its called does not swing freely it feels like opening and closing the vault door on Fort Knox. Is there any adjustment i can make. Thanks :banghead:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Open the tailgate completely and drill a small hole (about 1/8") and fill that hole with pb blaster and work it back and forth. wipe away the rust and dirt that comes out and keep doing it. The issue has to do with dissimilar metals and causes rust buildup

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tried the hole-and PB blaster-strategy too and it did work for a while... at least it made thing better, but mine was too far gone I think. I ordered a used pair from Davy's Jeeps, which worked very well.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Where are you drilling the hole?
Is this into the tailgate part of the hinge on the side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mine were like that too - I replaced them and was done with messing with them...
hope the 04's will be better.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The hole does not have to be very deep. Just break through the outside of the hinge and into the second layer don't drill to deep into the second layer though

ForumRunner_20120207_205353.jpg
Top hinge

ForumRunner_20120207_205405.jpg
Bottom hinge

Sorry for being sideways

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
jrmiller said:
The hole does not have to be very deep. Just break through the outside of the hinge and into the second layer don't drill to deep into the second layer though

Top hinge

Bottom hinge

Sorry for being sideways
Thanks man

·
Registered
844 Posts
Is there any play in the bolt holes on the stock hinges? (03 Rubicon) My tailgate acts like the hinges are 'sprung' or the tailgate is bent. (no sign of that at all). I have my spare tire mounted on a swinging holder that bolts onto the tailgate and passenger corner. But it takes 2 hands to close the gate securely. Tried PB blaster (didn't drill hole) spray white lithium (helped a little). Haven't tried to loosen up the bolts to see if there is any adjustment in the hinges. If there isn't, I'll have to order new hinges.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Is there any play in the bolt holes on the stock hinges? (03 Rubicon) My tailgate acts like the hinges are 'sprung' or the tailgate is bent. (no sign of that at all). I have my spare tire mounted on a swinging holder that bolts onto the tailgate and passenger corner. But it takes 2 hands to close the gate securely. Tried PB blaster (didn't drill hole) spray white lithium (helped a little). Haven't tried to loosen up the bolts to see if there is any adjustment in the hinges. If there isn't, I'll have to order new hinges.

I believe the hinges are sealed so spraying PB doesn't really get into the hinge and is why people are drilling holes. Bad design all around. The best way is to get new hinges if you can swing it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts