Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '99 I6 5-speed with 119k had this problem a month or two ago where it would turn over, rev up to idle (around 8 or 900 rpm) and then bog down and stall. If I kept my foot on the gas, the engine would continue to idle but as soon as I came off the gas, it would stall out... I managed to get her going and cleaned out the throttle body. This seemed to solve my problem, but I was wrong, its returned.

I've done some tentative research and it sounds like it could be the CPS, but I've also read that it could be my gray chipped key (the yellow key light comes on briefly when it starts, but it always does that). I called my mechanic and he's going to look into the symptoms and get back to me Monday. Anything I'm missing here? I'm sure it could be any number of issues and I'd like to know if you guys have any input...

P.S. I went to Home Depot and they don't carry the chipped blank for my key. I called a local dealership and they want $150 for a new key, this can't be my best option. I need a spare key anyway because the PO only had one to begin with. Anyone know anywhere in MA or NH where I can get a spare done up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my '99 TJ 4.0L 5 speed. Turns out it was a loose battery connection (!). I forget how I found out but apparently it's a Chrysler thing, not just a Jeep thing. I didn't believe it to be honest. In any event, I cleaned the batt terminals and tightened up what was in fact a loose battery connection ... and it's never happened again. At least something to check.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
BigDeaner said:
P.S. I went to Home Depot and they don't carry the chipped blank for my key. I called a local dealership and they want $150 for a new key, this can't be my best option. I need a spare key anyway because the PO only had one to begin with. Anyone know anywhere in MA or NH where I can get a spare done up?
The only place your going to be able to get a spare sentry key (grey key) is most likely the stealership. A generic blank from a hardware store will not work.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to check that right now. I really hope that's what it is.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no loose battery terminals...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Might want to give them a good cleaning, too. I had forgotten another time when they were clamped down tight, but suddenly I had nothing; no lights, no beeping dash, nothing. Everything LOOKED ok on the battery and terminals ... but took them off, cleaned 'em up, reclamped, and BAM, fire. I've never had that issue before! Crazy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might want to give them a good cleaning, too. I had forgotten another time when they were clamped down tight, but suddenly I had nothing; no lights, no beeping dash, nothing. Everything LOOKED ok on the battery and terminals ... but took them off, cleaned 'em up, reclamped, and BAM, fire. I've never had that issue before! Crazy.
I'll add that to the list of things to do... Some poking around on this forum led me to a link that rates a car's reliability over the years in differing categories (engine, transmission, accessories, etc.) The 99 Sport's only "moderate" issue was the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor and then listed more or less all the symptoms I've been having.

I think I'm going to replace it this weekend and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welp, I found it (I think)... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right? I haven't thrown a code, so I'm not sure replacing it is going to fix anything... We'll find out I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've noticed over the last few fill ups that my MPG is dropping. I was getting 14+ and now its closer to 10. The CEL isn't on, but would it be a horrible ideal to replace the o2 sensors?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, the CPS is in the mail and in the meantime I swapped out the AIC. The starting issue has not been resolved... I turn it over, it catches (not immediately, maybe a second or two of cranking) and thenI have to rev the engine to keep her from bogging out.

Could this be the fuel pressure regulator? I've tried the turn the key on/off a few times to prime it, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. Battery related? Any help would be appreciated, I want to figure this out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Battery Condition

Last winter I had the same issue. Well today was the first below freezing day and my battery was dead so I jumped it and had the same issue I couldn't start it, it did the same thing as you described. So I took my battery in and had it checked out and it was no good. Bought a new battery and problem solved, just went out and tried starting it again below freezing and started right up. So my suggestion check your battery condition.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi I order my Spare keys for Ikeyless (dot) com they have chipped keys for $18 or so... but you have to have 2 working keys to program them to your Jeep.

V

1 - 14 of 14 Posts