Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Started the Jeep and I heard a chirping sound on the 4.0 under the engine near the distributor. Shut it off. Got out and shot that area with some lube. Got back in started her up and now the Check Engines light is on and the gauge states: no oil pressure. I dont know if I had a problem before the lube or after. Either way the Jeep runs fine. Pressures fine but "no oil pressure" what gives?:doh:

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit is no good, or you really don't have any oil pressure and the motor is going to blow. Why would you be putting lube on electrical devices?????????????

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The only type of "lube" that should go on anything electrical is called Die-Electric Silicone Compound, it resembles a special type of grease used on electrical connections to ward off effects of moisture and corrosion. It will not harm electrical devices in the way a petroleum base lubricant can. It also does not contain any acidic or metallic compounds like most petroleum base lubricants do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasnt actually spraying the electrical parts but you know if you spray those pullies you'll get offspray.
Anyway, oil pressure sending unit? Would that be the same as oil pressure switch? Someone else wrote that at cargeeks.com

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
the sending unit sends the oil pressure to your dash gauge, it is located beside the distributor. Do not spray any lube on your pulleys, if they or the belt is squealing the pulleys need to be replaced, your belt needs to be replaced or adjusted, spraying the belt with lube will just make it slip.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Yes, some places may refer to the sending unit as a switch. As long as the engine isn't making loud ticking noises it should be ok to drive. If the parts store is close by I would just go and get the part, install it and make sure thats what is the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's old and I've racked up almost 200,000 on her. Sometimes she needs a little lube to get out those squeaks. Don't we all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that was the problem. Little more expensive at the local auto parts store but its fixed and I'm on my way. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts