Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my sons 1999 TJ 4.0 3 speed auto, once warmed up the Jeep has a high idle symptom while shifting into reverse. It seems like it shutters but might be just from the idle. No clue where to start. It did stall today while shifting to reverse. Fluid is full and color seems how it should with no burnt smell. Did some searching but people explain trans issues in various ways and didn’t find much other than a trans cooler sticky. Is the trans cooler a typical fix for these symptoms? Is it worth getting it either way?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I been researching finding many more results searching 32rh stalls in reverse.

The seemingly high idle is the motor trying not to stall and when shifted to neutral the engine revs for a few seconds.

I have checked the trans kickdown cable tension on the throttle body. Seems fine.

Going to set time aside Sunday to troubleshoot further. First and foremost I’m going to clean the throttle body.

Next I’d like a way to check the coolant flow, can I pull the line on the tranny and put it in a bucket? How much flow should I see?

I was going to pull fuse #11 for the converter solenoid but haven’t seen many results on this test. Anyone have thoughts on this?

If nothing above works I’m going to pull the pan and check filter and potentially the valve body. How hard is it to pull the valve body? Should I be concerned with this step? Should I purchase gaskets?

Sorry for all the questions, I haven’t worked on a ton of vehicles but I’m technical in a IT sense and can work with my hands so with some prior information I believe I can get this fixed.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
The 32RH transmission is dumb since it is purely hydraulic without a computer. It can't send any signals out to raise the idle rpms when shifting into Reverse. Are you saying the rpms go up when after you start driving in reverse or as soon as you shift into Reverse? Does it feel like the transmission is slipping when you try to drive in reverse and that's why the rpms are higher than they should be?

Did you check the ATF level while the engine was running and the transmission was in Neutral as it MUST be? The engine must be running and the transmission must be in Neutral during the ATF level check. If the transmission is in Park or the engine isn't running the dipstick will show an erroneous higher level of ATF than there really is.

Pulling the valve body is not difficult but don't do that unless you know why you're pulling it and have a plan. You won't be able to see problems there, you have to know what you're doing when inside. If you do pull it make sure you have a 1/4" torque wrench when reinstalling it. A 1/2" or 3/8" torque wrench are not suitable for reinstalling the bolts that hold the valve body in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off thanks for the reply!

When shifted into reverse the engine almost stalls like the torque converter isn’t working correctly. At this time the engine compensates. Because of this the Jeep really wants to buck and move in reverse almost to the point the brakes won’t hold it in 4 low. Also at this time if you shift into neutral the engine revs for a few seconds until it levels out.

I haven’t noticed any other symptom than this. It’s drives as expected until reverse is used. Also this only seems to happen if the engine is warm. I haven’t been able to replicate the issue after it sits over night.

Yes, I googled the correct way to check the fluid and was running in neutral on flat ground.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Well, the torque converter spins the same direction and works the same whether you're in Drive or Reverse, so I'm not thinking torque converter. It really sounds like it's inside the transmission, my guess is someone is going to have to get inside it. But I recall now a thread on Jeepforum where this problem was SOMEHOW caused by a clogged transmission cooler. It was after the torque converter had been swapped and a few other things had been done before he changed to an aftermarket cooler and bypassed the cooler inside the radiator. Doesn't make sense to me but he says that is what fixed it. 32RH shudders, slips, and stalls - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I can attempt to verify that theory buy pulling the return line to check flow when warm? I’m just not sure because I’m not sure what it would look like normally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts