Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a question concerning a tick after it warms up. Coming from engine and it doesn't become a noticeable thing until you've driven it for a few miles and the engine warms. Drives great otherwise. Should I be concerned? I. Going to do an oil change soon and was already planning on adding some Lucas in as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you hear it all the time or just when it's under a load? Mine had a tick under a load, traced it to the exhaust manifold. Had a crack. Had the expantion joints, but still cracked. Replaced a year ago and has been quite since.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
try the oil change.. could always pull the valve cover and see how it looks as well.. and of course run it to a shop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really not to worried jeep runs great just want to have a heads up from the veterans if some major issues could arise

·
Registered
99 Posts
As said above, exhaust manifold.... Does the tick get louder when the engine is under heavy load? Like steep hill and lugging while trying to accelerate? If it does get louder, very likely a cracked manifold.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For me, it is really just a ticking and does not seem to increase or decrease in volume under stress. It is not a knocking or even too loud, but goes with the rpms.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What king of oil are you using? Does it have enough zinc? Flat tappet lifters in the Jeep need more zinc than are in most modern oils so I supplement my oils with some ZDDP to bring the zinc levels up.

You may want to do some searches on zinc in oils and Jeep lifters. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sounds like lifters to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dad's 98 TJ with 125,000 miles does it and has done it since we got it (105,000 miles). Im surprised my 04 LJ doesn't do it with 111,000 miles. The only time I have heard it tick is on really cold mornings, it would go away after it warmed up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 04 LJ had a tick sound when cold.
Only happened twice. I just changed the oil filter to a k&n and problem went away.
Its got only 48k miles on it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hello I have a question concerning a tick after it warms up. Coming from engine and it doesn't become a noticeable thing until you've driven it for a few miles and the engine warms. Drives great otherwise. Should I be concerned? I. Going to do an oil change soon and was already planning on adding some Lucas in as well.
Popcorning when cold is extremely common on 4.0 motors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts