Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after owning my tj for 4 months and getting my hands dirty making it my own, it got nailed the other morning while parked outside my house, doing $4k of damage.

The main question is should I let the repair shop fix it or do it myself and upgrade/extend the dollar for some other needed repairs? If I accept payment directly from the insurance co and make some repairs at the shop and some on my own, am I liable for any additional problems encountered?

Damage includes:
-Front driver fender
-Steering linkages (had to turn the steering wheel 180 to drive to auto shop)
-Front axle (surprised by this)
-control arm
-stabilizer bar

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately yes if they cut you a check and the repair comes out to be more you will be out the rest of the cash. If you take it to the shop and let them do the work and they say it actually cost 5 grand then your Insuarance will have to pay the extra thousand. I was in your same situation awhile back luckily i found a place that did it dirt cheap so i had some extra cash.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Take the check and do the repairs yourself with 4k you can lift, tires, tube fenders and 1tons if you want

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Also glad your having more luck than I am w/ insurance :banghead:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Did it push the axle and control arms back? Check your t-case for damage. Either way for $4k, take the check and do it yourself and use the extra for mods. I wish I had done that with mine

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd take it to a trusted shop. Not only will they warranty their work but there could be a lot more damage than a visual appraisal accounts for.

Did the car that hit you leave a note? If not they should be shot in the face...just sayin :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just recently got hit in the right front of mine and the same things needed replacing.

My advice to you and what I did. Take the check, get a bumper of your choice, some flatty fenders, and head over to the junkyard and find a new axle.

Mine is still in the shop and tomorrow I'll be going to grab an 8.8 rear to match my new 4.10 front. Use this as an oppurtunity to make it a positive.

All the insurance company does when you get in a wreck is send out an adjustor and write you a check to cover the parts on the jeep that require replacement. What you do with that check is your own perogative.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would do the work myself after having it takin to a trusted shop to check for other damage, and I would do as follows either tube fenders or buy used ones off cl, lift ( which will fix the control arms and the sway bar endlinks), do a zj tie rod swap, and depending on what happened to the axle either repair or replace it, and some bigger tires.

·
Registered
583 Posts
CMA_Rider said:
Take the check and do the repairs yourself with 4k you can lift, tires, tube fenders and 1tons if you want
Not quite man. 1 tons alone would blow that budget right out the window. Tube fenders aren't cheap and a decent lift is atleast 1k. This still doesn't even address everything extra 1 tons would require.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. Fortunately for me a policeman was turning onto our street when the accident happened. It Was a High school girl driving to school when a spider dropped in her face. Fortunately she was fine but still felt kind of bad for her- she was shaken up. Plus now I'm looking forward to fixing up the jeep better than before. I will try an take it to a trusted mech next for some insight on the axle etc. winter is coming and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew before the cold sets in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MikalCarbine said:
Did it push the axle and control arms back? Check your t-case for damage. Either way for $4k, take the check and do it yourself and use the extra for mods. I wish I had done that with mine
As best I could tell the axle didn't get pushed back. The mount for the driver control arm was slightly flexed towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Not quite man. 1 tons alone would blow that budget right out the window. Tube fenders aren't cheap and a decent lift is atleast 1k. This still doesn't even address everything extra 1 tons would require.
I can get a d60 front 70rear plus everything I need for $1500 max (1k for both axles)

tubes $500

lift 1k including sye and ds

1k for tires

labor = free

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
As best I could tell the axle didn't get pushed back. The mount for the driver control arm was slightly flexed towards the passenger side.
Thats what happend to mine, I was hit head on by a drunk driver and it bent all 4 of my CA's and did the same thing to my fender :nonono: your lucky my insurance only paid for the body work $750

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Unfortunately yes if they cut you a check and the repair comes out to be more you will be out the rest of the cash.
It is very common for additional damage to be discovered in the course of making a repair. If that is the reason, you just submit a supplemental claim for items missed in the initial damage appraisal. Insurance companies are very familiar with the concept.

·
Registered
583 Posts
CMA_Rider said:
I can get a d60 front 70rear plus everything I need for $1500 max (1k for both axles)

tubes $500

lift 1k including sye and ds

1k for tires

labor = free
I call b.s. building suitable 60/70 combo will cost you a lot more than 1k. Thanks for a good laugh though.

That 1k lift won't have adjustable quality arms and it sure as hell won't be anything up to par with a high dollar lift done right with everything.

Building just one of the axles you stated will cost nearly that whole budget if not more.

Stop now and troll on to the next thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I were you I'd make a good revision of that in a good jeep shop, then, if the damage is just what you showed here, i'd go myself. Buying a used mint d30, checking carefully control arms mounts, then buying new ones (just OEM) and keep going like that. I assume you can buy used parts in very good condition (i would go new on steering parts and arms though) and just then if the ir extra cash, new tires and a lift. Of course you can buy d60 tires and lot of things, but would it be reliable? just get that working good instead of dreaming. the longer the mods the easier it will need to be fixed, unless you spend way more than 4k on that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pate said:
If I were you I'd make a good revision of that in a good jeep shop, then, if the damage is just what you showed here, i'd go myself. Buying a used mint d30, checking carefully control arms mounts, then buying new ones (just SOME BETTER QUALITY ARMS other than the tin foil stock arms) and keep going like that. I assume you can buy used parts in very good condition (i would go new on steering parts and arms though) and just then if the ir extra cash, new tires and a lift. Of course you CAN'T buy d60 tires and lot of things, but would it be reliable? just get that working good instead of dreaming. the longer the mods the easier it will need to be fixed, unless you spend way more than 4k on that.
Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Derp said:
Fixed it for ya.
Haha thanks, i still think you may buy d60, some rusty used, weared tires and shitty stuff. Just for making clear the fact that upgrading the jeep would be more like a back-step over actual form

1 - 20 of 26 Posts