Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the brakes this morning and noticing grinding wear on passenger rotor. After changing pads on caliper the pads sit almost entirely on the Rotor when tightened up in the caliper. This can't be right.

Buddy at auto supply asked me what size the screws were in my hub assembly and I was like wha?

Am I reading this right that there was a manufacture change of hub assemblies in 2000?

If that's true what do I do now? I've had the hub assembly on almost 3 months. They sure as hell wouldn't take it back?

Is there a thinner rotor that I could use to replace them both since I'm looking at snug brakes on both sides?

The Hubs are both new I don't see any reason to replace functioning parts.

Hope that's clear? Thx

Z

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Yes the unit bearing changed. Just return the rotors and get rotors for a newer TJ, since it sounds like when you replaced the unit bearings you got ones for a newer TJ.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the unit bearing changed. Just return the rotors and get rotors for a newer TJ, since it sounds like when you replaced the unit bearings you got ones for a newer TJ.
Cool that's a simple fix. Your suppose to replace rotors in pairs anyway. So what year is good to use? 00+ ?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The unit bearing hubs and brake rotors were changed in 1999. Because they were changed throughout the year and not on a specific date (old stock was used up), hubs and rotors should be measured to determine which was used. The old style rotors were composite, and the newer style were cast. Here is a picture with the two hub measurements.

Read this http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/brakes-heads-up-for-1999-wrangler-owners-381386.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts