Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thank you in advance for all your help and advice.

To start off, I am missing 5th gear, acts like neutral, Snap ring or tranny?

Secondly I feel as if I am lacking power ( 99 tj 4 cyl on 33 with a 3-4 inch lift)

The gas pedal is very stiff, What can I do to fix this?

On the shift knob, there is some sort of lever that moves up and down, it has a cable running through the boot, What is this? will get pictures if I can.

As well as some sort of motor in the front of my jeep, looks like it attaches to the stab bar?

I am a new jeep owner and need all the help I can get, If I think of anything else I will edit this.

Also where can I find cheap parts? rip in my door window.

Thank you.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you are completely missing 5th gear, but have all other gears, it's an issue in the transmission. The lever on your gear shift lever is most likely a hand throttle used for wheeling. Your Jeep was probably not regeared when the oversized tires were installed. You would have to get the axles regeared or swap back to stock size tires to recover the lost power.

Motor on the front? Are you talking about a winch???....Or maybe part of a snow plow?...Post some pictures.

Follow the throttle cable under the hood and make sure it's not kinked anywhere. Try moving the throttle body by hand and see if it moves freely. If so, get a can of triflo teflon spray (Ace Hardware) and spray it down the inside of the outer cable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you,
I was told a spring could have come off causing 5th not to engage, seem unlikely?
The first pic is what is on the shifter, the second is some sort of motor it looks like.

Is regearing expensive, if I regeared, what would I want to gear to?
3.73? 4.10?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,677 Posts
The 1st picture is a hand throttle

It has a cable that connects the same was as the gas pedal to control engine speed. The center pivot can be tightened to make your idle stay higher when you pull the lever. You can just ignore it.

Yes the factory 5 speed with the 4 cylinder engine in 1999 was the ax-5

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the "motor" you talk about the black thing on the upper right corner that have a rod attached to it...its your steering gear box

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is there a body lift? If so they can cause all sorts of control binding. Lack of power? A 4 banger with oversize tires speaks volumes on this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a body lift? If so they can cause all sorts of control binding. Lack of power? A 4 banger with oversize tires speaks volumes on this.
I believe just suspension lift.

Seems like the pedal is pretty tight, I am going to look at it again today, kinda hard this winter with all the snow!

the hand throttle, I may have to check out how to use it.

also, For the motor/tranny, the ax 5 right?
The 5th gear, I am going to get checked out. Hoping not to dump loads of money into this thing though.

I really appreciate all the help.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thank you,
Is regearing expensive, if I regeared, what would I want to gear to?
3.73? 4.10?
Optimum gearing for the 4 cyl, 5 speed on 33's is 4.88. A shop would likely charge anywhere from $1200-$1800 to regear both axles parts & labor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts