Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a '99 TJ and I just got a 2.5" Skyjacker lift and I think the steering feels kind of squirrely now. I have experienced death-wobble a couple of times, too. I understand there are some steering linkage bushings that maybe I could replace? Could someone recommend something for me.. parts or maybe a kit?

·
Registered
819 Posts
After you just put in the lift, was everything torqued to specs? And did you do or have done a tire alignment? You could also do a "dry steer test", look for movement at the ball joints, tie rod ends, and axle u-joints.
GL, hope you find the reason for your Jeep's wanderlust.

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Squirrely steering is usually not enough caster. Does your kit include adjustable front lower control arms. I have a YJ so I'm not too familiar with TJ front suspension.
Worn components are a possible contributor to death wobble.

I'd take the Jeep to a off road shop that does alignments on lifted vehicles. They should be able to advise you. Have them do a four wheel alignment and ask them to do a comprehensive evaluation of your suspension. Tell them what you did and what you are currently experiencing. Also, tell them you want a before and after printout.
If they can't provide a before and after printout, go elsewhere.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming everything was torqued correctly. A friend of mine installed the lift and the instructions that came with the lift were very good. I did a tire alignment immediately afterwards. I just saw a "dry steer test" on YouTube so I'll check that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Did the Skyjacker come with a drop pitman arm? They're kinda notorious for that as I seem to recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it didn't come with pitman arm. From what I understand, the difference in angle when installing a 2.5" lift doesn't warrant a new pitman arm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2.5" Skyjacker lift kit did not come with new adjustable control arms. I forget to mention that I lifted it to put larger tires on the vehicle. 32" x 11.5" and I quickly found that I needed wheel spacers because the tires rubbed on rod bushings, which got torn up. I will definitely have to replace these particular bushings now.

·
Commercial Member
7,076 Posts
No, it didn't come with pitman arm. From what I understand, the difference in angle when installing a 2.5" lift doesn't warrant a new pitman arm.
Well that's good that you kept the stock pitman. In the past, skyjacker kits already had dropped pitman and it caused bump steer

Did you adjust the toe in after lifting it?

What tire pressure are you running?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
You may also want to replace the Steering Damper if it is getting old! Do Not try replacing with a stronger, heavier, or "Stiffer" replacement model, as this may cause more issues down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had death wobble and steering drift on my 97 TJ with 4" lift. Found that the track bar torque was under spec. Immediately solve death wobble (Especially with my adjustable track bark whose spec is much higher than OEM spec). Still have drift problem though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that's good that you kept the stock pitman. In the past, skyjacker kits already had dropped pitman and it caused bump steer

Did you adjust the toe in after lifting it?

What tire pressure are you running?
I did a wheel alignment immediately after the lift and the new tires. I'm assuming they checked the toe-in.
The tire pressure was set by my trusted mechanic. But I've always assumed that the pressure should be set according to the model of tire and the weight of the vehicle. Admittedly I should look into this.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
:jawdrop:

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
7,076 Posts
I did a wheel alignment immediately after the lift and the new tires. I'm assuming they checked the toe-in.
The tire pressure was set by my trusted mechanic. But I've always assumed that the pressure should be set according to the model of tire and the weight of the vehicle. Admittedly I should look into this.
I would hope they set toe in correctly, but you can easily check with a tape measure. Should be 1/8" to 1/16" or so.
Tire pressure goes down as tire size goes up. Most people over inflate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts