Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted in the General Discussion Forum by NonRubicon in May 2014.
It's every bit as relevant today as it was then.

.......................................................................................................

I think there are a few things members here can do to help improve the speed and accuracy of which help is attained in diagnosing problems. Too often I see posts asking for help, but not providing any (or enough) information about their vehicle.

I mention this, because there is more than one setup for a Jeep, even from the factory. And once a previous owner starts changing things around, well, there is no way for the members of the forum to know what changes have been made to your Jeep unless the current status of parts/mods is made known to us. Jeeps are like LEGOs - the ways in which they can be built and modified are many.

We may not all be expert professional mechanics - I know I certainly am not one - but having the right info can even help the weekend/shadetree mechanic do his/her part in helping out a fellow Jeeper. Posting up "help! my jeep doesn't run!" without telling the forum what you have isn't really much to go on. Without the correct information, assumptions are made and time wasted on wrong advice because it doesn't apply to your vehicle setup. Even if you've filled out your Jeep profile, this information isn't readily presented on the post itself, so it will help you immensely to provide the specifics of your Jeep in your post. (Another option is to put this info in your signature so it is always there whenever you post).

The more info you provide up front, the less time is spent searching your profile for your Jeep's info (if it is even there at all) and less time trying to coax info about the Jeep out of you. It's about getting down to brass tacks and all - we want to help out a fellow Jeeper. It's why we reply to posts asking for help.

So things to include in your post that can help yourself out when posting for technical help:

The first big thing is to include the year of your vehicle. Right from the factory, the early YJ's (87-90) are slightly different in build than the later YJ's (91-95). So even if you have a stock vehicle, there are differences between years. However, if we assume you have a stock vehicle but yours actually has been modified, you aren't going to get the right answers.
Include the engine you have - specify if it is a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder. Include the displacement if you know it (such as 2.5L, 4.0L, 4.2L). Jeeps sometimes have their engines swapped out for different engines, so the model year alone isn't necessarily going to provide the right info. A 1987 Wrangler may actually have a 4.0L fuel injected engine that was swapped from a 1995 Wrangler. Or a Jeep can have a V-8 engine swapped in. Or maybe a Chevy 4.3L V6 swapped in. You get the point.
Specify if the engine is fuel injected or carbureted. If fuel injected, be as specific as possible as to whether it's throttle body or multi-port fuel injection, as the system can vary depending on the engine. Sometimes the 4.2L engine is modified to use throttle body fuel injection or even multi-port fuel injection. Sometimes a newer multi port fuel injected 4 cylinder engine is swapped into an older Jeep that originally had throttle body injection. If carbureted, specify if you have the factory carb or aftermarket carb, and if aftermarket which carb you have.
Specify if manual or automatic transmission. If you know the model of transmission, specify it. Sometimes transmissions get swapped out. The older YJ transmissions (87-89) are often swapped out for the newer ones (90-95). Even the year of the transmission can matter, as some have internal slave cylinders, and the newer years have external slave cylinders.
These are some of the basis stats of the vehicle. Year, engine, fuel delivery system, transmission. There is quite a bit of info to be derived from these four points. Sensors, switches, wiring, diagnostic measures and maybe even your specific problem may have been encountered by another Jeeper before. Also include any other details that are pertinent to the part of the vehicle to which you are inquiring for help. If it's the transfer case, specify which one you have. It's okay if you don't know everything about your Jeep, everyone starts learning new stuff at some point. I think the forum is here to help with that too. It can be challenging taking over possession of a Jeep that someone else has modified, as you never know what you're going to find.

By providing the basic info on your Jeep in your original post, you can get a jump start on getting help to find a solution to your problem.
......................................................................................................

I think it's reasonable to refer posters that ask "Why does my Jeep stall" or other questions without any additional information to this post.
Much thanks to NonRubicon for this great post. All I did was copy it and move it here.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Wrangler/ 2.5
3 Posts
I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler ...2.5 4 cylinder...I so wish someone could give me there thoughts on what may be wrong with it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts