Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A soon as I picked up my Jeep I was hitting the northern Michigan woods. I had wheeled these same trails plenty with my old YJ and had plenty of scratches to prove it. Well after one trip up north I had the usual tree pinstripes down the side of the Jeep. Even though my jeep hits the trails and the sand dunes it is also my daily driver. I still like my vehicles to look well cared for. Even after washing the Jeep it never really looked clean. Well several more trips up north adn any more stripes down the sides and it was time to get the Jeep cleaned up. I picked up a cheap buffer from from Harbor Freight. I then ordered the 3M 3 stage polishing kit. On Saturday I washed the Jeep twice. I thought I would grab the buffer and give just one door a try. Well after that I just kept going. I spent about 6 hours total buffing the paint. I then spent a couple hours with a toothbrush clean all the nooks and crannies of paste. After I finished buffing the jeep I put a coat of McGuires car wax on it. I am very happy with how it turned out. Up close you can still pick out some scratches here and there but overall it looks great. This was the first time I have ever used a buffer to polish paint like this and it was not that bad.

This is the before picture. The little specs are from the buffing compound. This is the drivers rear door and I had started on the drivers front door before I thought of taking a picture.

This is the same panel the next day after I finished buffing the Jeep out.

All cleaned up. I still have some buffing compound to clean off the sliders but thats all.

Hank

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments. We may give my son-in-laws Jeep the same treatment. Going to be getting a set of the magnetic protection covers they make for the doors before my next trip up. An ounce of prevention ......

Hank

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was truly shocked at how well the buffing kit did on my scratches. In the past I had tried hand buffing the scratches with a mild buffing compound and it did nothing. The 3M kit I used really made it easy. It came with 3 pads and three different grit polishes. You just start with number 1 polish then move to number 2 and 3. The polishing pads match the color of the compound cap that you are using. I would recommend the kit to anyone.

Hank

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I was truly shocked at how well the buffing kit did on my scratches. In the past I had tried hand buffing the scratches with a mild buffing compound and it did nothing. The 3M kit I used really made it easy. It came with 3 pads and three different grit polishes. You just start with number 1 polish then move to number 2 and 3. The polishing pads match the color of the compound cap that you are using. I would recommend the kit to anyone.

Hank
Can you post the link of the kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
What kind of polisher did you use? I see you said HF. Just not the type. I picked up a B&D orbital polisher as it is safer to use and is less likely to burn the paint than a high speed polisher. Your Jeep turned out great!!!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What kind of polisher did you use? I see you said HF. Just not the type. I picked up a B&D orbital polisher as it is safer to use and is less likely to burn the paint than a high speed polisher. Your Jeep turned out great!!!
This is the buffer that I used https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-10-amp-variable-speed-polisher-60626.html. To be honest I am just a novice. This was my first experience ever using a polisher like this. I just did some research and the 3M kit caught my eye. Thanks for checking out my thread.

Hank

·
Registered
430 Posts
That looks awesome, great work! As a car detailing freak myself, I'm impressed. The only suggestion I would make is to use a sealant instead of a wax. Sealant will better protect your daily driver and lasts longer than a wax. Put the wax over the sealant if you want even more shine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts