Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time jeep owner here (2013 JK Sport). I have noticed that every time I start my jeep, the vents are blowing from the dash and at a higher level and on full AC, regardless of what the dial is set at. It stays like this until I set it to a different setting and adjust the temp, then it does what it is supposed to. Any ideas what this could be about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do you have auto climate control? If so, is it on auto? I know you said regardless of what dial, not sure which ones you were referring to.

Mine does the same thing. Although I can't figure out why AC is turned on sometimes, and not at other times.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What you're describing is not normal. It should begin doing exactly what the buttons and dials are set for as soon as you move the key to on. Furthermore, the AC should only be active when the AC button is on, or when the knob is in the defrost or floor/defrost settings. There are no other cases where the AC comes on by itself.

I have no clue what or how the automatic climate control would do. But what you describe doesn't sound right, even for that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like you have auto temp control option. When you start the jeep it is defaulting to whatever temperature setting you last had it at. There are four automatic modes depending on where you set the dials. It can be confusing at first. Check the owners manual. There is a chart in there that describes the modes.
If you don't have the auto feature something is messed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check the manual today, I haven't seen anything that indicates I have an auto system... Thanks for the feedback. Just bought it, so hoping it's not an issue already.

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
The quickest way to tell if you have automatic climate of manual AC is by the left dial showing "AUTO" and temp dial in the middle dial shows set temps in degrees (e.g., ...66..72...78...); if the middle dial shows blue and red zones it is manual.

If you have the automatic climate control, it may be that your settings are set very cold or very hot, thus blowing hard at start.

You can override the blower by unselecting "AUTO", or by adjusting the temp dial.

Auto vs Manual HVAC controls

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I'll add that due to some bad design, the LED under the "A/C Push", doesn't always illuminate when the A/C compressor is enabled. IMHO, it should.

I mean, I can't be the only one who feels that if that LED is off, the A/C compressor should never run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

First time jeep owner here (2013 JK Sport). I have noticed that every time I start my jeep, the vents are blowing from the dash and at a higher level and on full AC, regardless of what the dial is set at. It stays like this until I set it to a different setting and adjust the temp, then it does what it is supposed to. Any ideas what this could be about?

Thanks!
I've got the same/very similar thing happening on a '13 Sport JKU. If the vents are set to floor when I turn the jeep on, it will never switch to floor - will only blow out the vents from the dash (and I've noticed the fan seems higher than it should be). The only way to get it to blow out the floor vents is if I switch the vents to windshield, wait for it to start blowing out the windshield vents and then switch back to the floor.

I took it in to the dealer about a month ago and was told "no codes came up". They were running way behind and I didn't have time to get into it with them. I have another appointment this Friday and plan on taking as long as necessary to get them to see the issue. I'll let you know how that works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer is at a loss at this point. They replaced the "Blend air/Temperature control" actuator and I've still got the same issue. They told me they were going to research it some more and get back to me. I'll update when they do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine does it for a few seconds and stops. Not worried about it. Has done it since new.

·
Most Interesting
750 Posts
My 2016 JKU does this also. I feel it on my legs for a second or two coming out of the floor vents. This happens upon startup even if the blower motor switch is set to "off".

Mine does it for a few seconds and stops. Not worried about it. Has done it since new.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My 2014 did some weird things like that and I just replaced the heater control unit this week which has fixed my issue. Mine did the exact same thing and also when I started the jeep it seemed to move to what ever vent position it wanted to and wouldn't change back until I turned it all the way to defrost and back to where I want it. Works great now!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'll check the manual today, I haven't seen anything that indicates I have an auto system... Thanks for the feedback. Just bought it, so hoping it's not an issue already.
What did you determine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 did some weird things like that and I just replaced the heater control unit this week which has fixed my issue. Mine did the exact same thing and also when I started the jeep it seemed to move to what ever vent position it wanted to and wouldn't change back until I turned it all the way to defrost and back to where I want it. Works great now!
This was what eventually fixed mine as well. They replaced the Dash Control Unit (P/N: 55111168AI) and it is working as it's supposed to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had that same issue with the system not reflecting what my settings are at. I am having an issue where my rear window defrost light blinks for 15 to 20 seconds before anything comes on. The dealer said it was from one of the control wires breaking loose on the glass. I thought that would be the same as removing the top. New glass under warranty, but same issue on first start up. Any ideas here? Dealer appears to be clueless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts