Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a few years ago, my serpentine belt broke and flapped around the engine compartment. In the process, it cut my ac discharge hose in half. I've been just taking the windows out when it's hot, but now I want it fixed. I bought a new hose and installed it. I added first charge refrigerant and noticed the compressor was not engaging the clutch, so I jumped it too make sure it was working. Without being jumped, it will not work even though there is pressure in the system now. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

·
Registered
358 Posts
You will use the gauge to tell you. When I did a full charge on my ford pickup it took four of the smaller cans.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Did you have the A/C on and on max cool setting? I understand the compressor was engaged because you had it jumped but you still want it set on max

Also what was the pressure?? And also the ambient temperature at the time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doh! I just realized I had it on defrost, not max ac. Would that make a difference? I thought defrost engaged the ac as well...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Also, you should had pulled vacuum on the system since it has been open that long to remove any moisture that could be in there and to check your system for leaks. Don't forget to add oil to your system also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you put a vacuum on the system before adding the coolant? Also if system was open for a time, it may have a blockage somewhere by dirt or bug. Experience from another vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not vacuum the system...didn't realize that was necessary. I just tried again with Max ac on....no luck, pressure is 50 psi, right at the edge of the green zone on my gauge. Ambient temp is 80

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
You may need to have it vacuumed. However, are any of the lines getting cold? Have you tried just letting it run for a bit with the sensor hooked up and not jumped and do you feel any temp difference in the air from the ac on or off?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You need to pull a vacuum on it. You also need to replace the dryer as the desiccant inside is fully saturated from trying to dry the entire world :) On second thought, assuming you didn't seal up the broken line, you probably have all kinds of foreign matter inside the system after running with it wide open to the atmosphere all this time. The safest bet would be to have the system flushed, new compressor oil added (the flush will remove it), new dryer, evacuated and then filled. You can chance it by skipping the flush and oil steps, but you might be replacing a compressor soon too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts