Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished up doing a 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex Short arm kit. This included the chromoly steering tie rod.

So just a couple pointers for those of you that want to do this yourself

1) I would recommend a tap, to pre-tap all the grease zert fittings in the control arms. I would grind the point off of the tap to make it a bottom hole flat tap and use air to keep it clean. I did not do this and it was a little difficult to install the zerts with the powder coating.

2) Pre-grease all the arms before installing them. I know, I know, I know, this should be common sense. But hey this was my first rodeo and I followed the instructions to the letter. I was able to grease everything later, but it would have been easier outside the jeep. LOL

3) On the steering tie rod instructions; it states to use the Snap-On or Rubicon Express reamer. But what it doesn't tell you is how much to ream the knuckle or the pitman arm (the lift instructions don't even mention the pitman arm). Now the instruction that come with the Steering tie rod do tell you to ream both the knuckle and the pitman arm to 3/4" at the widest. So I didn't find these instructions until I was taking the boxes out to the trash. A friend of mine had pulled all the parts out of the boxes to look at all the cool kid stuff and didn't see the instructions. Needless to say I need to go check this as soon as I can. LOL

Again, just thought that I would share some of my experiences.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts