Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an accident some 2 months ago.(Long story short, brakes failed) So now it's tilting to one side, as you can see below, it makes a whistling when driving for the first few minutes, it makes a weird sound when turning(like it's clicking), the airbag light comes on(airbag never deployed and horn works), and it sounds like the grill rattles when I go over speed bumps. Can I just get some advice on whatever issues seem obvious?
-Thanks

ForumRunner_20140517_203351.jpg

ForumRunner_20140517_203409.jpg

ForumRunner_20140517_203427.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
It looks like it was just the damage on the fender makes it look off, you can measure the frame to check square . as for light I am stumped I just replaced my switch but thr horn was not working.. good luck make sure you post the fix

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it was just the damage on the fender makes it look off, you can measure the frame to check square . as for light I am stumped I just replaced my switch but thr horn was not working.. good luck make sure you post the fix
Thank you so much! I might the bumps out of my fender out at an auto body shop.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Did you hit your tire very hard? Looks like your fender got pushed up. May have broken some bolts for the inner panel which could be causing your rattling and your whistling sounds. The clicking could come from your axle or your steering u-joint when you're turning. Don't know anything about the airbag. But it could be a loose connection.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you hit your tire very hard? Looks like your fender got pushed up. May have broken some bolts for the inner panel which could be causing your rattling and your whistling sounds. The clicking could come from your axle or your steering u-joint when you're turning. Don't know anything about the airbag. But it could be a loose connection.
So as far as I'm concerned what should I do then?

Thank you so much by the way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump just want more answers. Thank you so much by the way. You guys are very helpful.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Jack up the front end turn your steering wheel to the side you heard the clicking and hand rotate your tires. Maybe you can pinpoint where the clicking is coming from. If not, take it to an alignment shop.

While it is jacked up, open the hood and wiggle the front fender to see if something is loose.

Air bag - take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jack up the front end turn your steering wheel to the side you heard the clicking and hand rotate your tires. Maybe you can pinpoint where the clicking is coming from. If not, take it to an alignment shop.

While it is jacked up, open the hood and wiggle the front fender to see if something is loose.

Air bag - take it to the dealer.
Thank you so much! I appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Hate to sound like a worry-wart...but please be sure to use a jack-stand and wheel chock.

Also -

If the airbag indicator comes on...take it to a dealer to have it diagnosed (at very least).
You dont want a supplemental restraint system failure if you get into an accident and the bag should deploy but doesnt.

Worse yet...very rare (fortunately)....you dont want a Supplemental restraint system Failure triggering a bag to deploy...when it shouldnt.

There are many "warning lights" that can be ignored....I wouldnt consider this one of them. Not an emergency, but not trivial, either.

How many miles have you driven since the accident? Are the tires showing any unusual or uneven wear?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It may help if you can elaborate on the accident.(Speed, type of accident, area of damage?, etc..) Like stated above, both fenders are out of alignment with the hood, making the front look misaligned. The grill, hood, and bumper seems aligned properly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going about less than 30mph and about 1000 feet away, and I started braking and switched lanes and braking harder. The car was reacting, and barely braking. I was less than 200 feet and still going about 20 mph. I knew I was going to crash, so I slammed the brakes and slid. My hooks on top of my bumper hooked the bottom of his Dodge Nitro 4x4. I then realized that the radiator was leaking (ALREADY REPLACED IT) and that was it honestly. Airbag never deployed and that was the only damage to the car, apart from the grill caving in.

As stated above, I replaced the radiator and pulled the grill out.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
With what happened to you, and I'm sorry about that, providing verbal descriptions and looking for a diagnosis over the internet isn't something I'd be doing.

There is no telling what happened to the front suspension and/or axle in that accident. Someone who knows what they're doing has to physically look at it, and you need expert advice on why your brakes failed causing the accident. The damage could be minor, or it could be something that at the least could cause rapid tire wear (from something bent like the tie rod), or catastrophic failure from something close to failing entirely.

I try to offer valid advice here whenever possible but this is not a problem I see anything good coming out of from seeking advice here. Get someone local to look at it who knows what they're doing.

Good luck with it. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With what happened to you, and I'm sorry about that, providing verbal descriptions and looking for a diagnosis over the internet isn't something I'd be doing.

There is no telling what happened to the front suspension and/or axle in that accident. Someone who knows what they're doing has to physically look at it, and you need expert advice on why your brakes failed causing the accident. The damage could be minor, or it could be something that at the least could cause rapid tire wear (from something bent like the tie rod), or catastrophic failure from something close to failing entirely.

I try to offer valid advice here whenever possible but this is not a problem I see anything good coming out of from seeking advice here. Get someone local to look at it who knows what they're doing.

Good luck with it. :)
Thank you! I also fixed the airbag light.
Did the dignosis to test through the odometer, twice; after, I pulled the positive off the battery and right after I pulled the fuses in the glove compartment. Then I had the ingition in ON without the engine started, and it just disappeared.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts