Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i installed these halo headlights with white ring on when running or parking light is on and that turns off when the signal is turned on and flashing . it works but the problem is the signal is only working when i have the factory signal bulb in , if i plug a 3/4 inch led light instead , the amber light is solid , if i put the OEM bulb in the amber ring flashes perfectly if i remove the OEM bulb it is solid. it only works when the OEM bulb is in . now i could just not use the amber ring for the signal and everything works fine . and i will just install the the 3/4 inch led for the signal , get rid of the OEM light and call it a day . but i bought this light set up to use the amber signal ring . i have a video of the problem .
my goal is since i have metalcloak fenders and i will be installing them this weekend , and can not use the factory signals " the big rectangular ones" .
i would like to use the amber ring for the signal " but can not without the factory bulbs " . and i would like to also use the 3/4 inch signal / running light too . also does anyone think i need to run a diode between the halo amber signal wire and/or the white running halo to get it work properly ? any help would be great

here is a short video on the problem . if anyone needs more info let me know thank you

https://youtu.be/c7hYmQBPnFU

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the only thing i can think of is a resistor from the ground to signal wire . and yes i have an led flasher too i had that a long time ago when i converted my rears to led

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The side marker is a floating ground so current runs one way when park lights are on and the opposite way when park lights are off

Since LED only flows one direction so it will one work as a flasher either with park lights on or with park lights off but not both as LED are diodes which only pass current one way

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
You need to tie your headlight amber to the front park light not the side marker

Run it parallel with the front amber bulb filaments and do not hook it to the side marker light with its floating ground

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to tie your headlight amber to the front park light not the side marker

Run it parallel with the front amber bulb filaments and do not hook it to the side marker light with its floating ground

i currently have it hooked up to the front signal not the side marker light that is how it is working . i know the side is a floating and i had the side hooked up as an led for a year or more . my problem is i will not be able to use the OEM bulb configuration when i put the new fenders on .

i can draw a diagram in a few minutes and post exactly how i have it connected . thank you so much for the help and/or reach out

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also i did read the side marker thing . before when i installed me side light very helpful . but not sure if it applies here or not . the headlight is sealed and in the back in plugs into my stock headlight connector and then it has to extra wires . one for the white running ring and one for the amber . i have the red wire " white ring" hooked up to the park lamp wire and the green wire " amber light " hooked up to the signal wire , both are on the front signal not the floating ground side marker

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
photo of how i wired it . the only thing i can thing of is running a resistor from ground to the power wire . do you think this can work ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have the red wire " white ring" hooked up to the park lamp wire and the green wire " amber light " hooked up to the signal wire , both are on the front signal not the floating ground side marker
I think your DRL power source has to come from somewhere other than the front marker light. Perhaps you can tap into the power outlet that is powered only when the ignition is turned on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts