Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my 89 yj that I need to get running. About 8 years ago a "mechanic" ripped the 4.0 straight 6 and wasn't nice enough to put it back together :| now it's up to me... And I haven't the foggiest idea where to start... If u have a working 4.0 I would like if u guys could post some pics of... Everything just to get me started. My biggest problem is I don't know where everything plugs in so the help will be much appreciated :)

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clarifying the size. It's all together.... I think it's all jumbled up in the engine bay. I hooked it up enough to turn it over but that's it. There are still a lot of loose wires all over the place..... And it's a carb

·
Registered
433 Posts
why was is removed in the first place, was it not running?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YJ325i said:
why was is removed in the first place, was it not running?
Yes it was but the mechanic we took it to was a drunken idiot that's y it's messed up I really hope the engine isn't shot then i would have to sell it for scrap

·
Registered
433 Posts
Junk yards are always good learning spots. Maybe find some XJ's with similiar drivetrains. take a camera. works for me. I know not many wranglers make it to the yards.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yes it was but the mechanic we took it to was a drunken idiot that's y it's messed up I really hope the engine isn't shot then i would have to sell it for scrap
?? did you pay the guy or was it a "friend of a friend" kinda deal? sounds like one of those rare occasions when a lawyer might be useful ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get yourself a Hayes or Chilton service manual. They are less tha 40 bucks and it will cover servicing the whole jeep including the engine. Will make things a lit easier.

·
Registered
879 Posts
if they don't' have emission inspection where you live, google "nutter bypass"
it will help eliminate some wiring and vacuum lines, especially if it is not the stock carb

otherwise, post some pics of what you are starting with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts