Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not actually a jeep owner....yet. Just haven't found the right rig. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I live in St. Louis and there seems to be a descent number of SALVAGED title wranglers. I've never purchased a salvage car and not so sure I want to. any thoughts?

2. I've seen a couple of older 4.2s. Everyone i talk to tells me to stick to the 4.0i6. as a first timer, should I avoid the older 4.2s

·
Registered
952 Posts
As far as your first question, I would never buy a salvaged vehicle. If you are in an accident or rock crawling or even just driving, if one weld fails, its gonna hurt. May even kill you depending what breaks. You never know who fixed it, what their BAL was at the time, or how much knowledge they have. If money is the issue, go for a later model with low miles. Just my thoughts. Sorry I dont know about #2.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neral22;3956891if one weld fails said:
POINT TAKEN....i was about 90% sure that i did not want a salvaged vehicle, but the quote above sealed the deal. Thanks homie.

A few weeks ago when I started my search, there was tons of inventory. Now I can seems to find anything but high mileage, over priced 2.5s I'm not an impulse shopper, so I can wait. It just sucks because the weather is nice and I just took out a $7k loan which i'm itching to spend.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I did a search on cars.com 150 miles out from st louis and found this one for $8,500. I know its 1.5k more than what you have, but cash $ talks volumes to dealers vs financing. 8 reviewers also gave this place a great rating (which is usually a hard thing to get with a buy here pay here type of place. http://m.cars.com/mcs/projects/cars/car_info.xdime?paId=116642520&year=2001&t=used
1/2 doors, ac, 2001, and only 85k miles. Looks like a good deal, wouldnt hurt to give em a call with your situation :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
BIGHAMMS: take your time, do not rush into a purchase, you will likely get burned or regret what you bought if you rush it. took me 7 long months to find the right TJ at the right price.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
As far as your first question, I would never buy a salvaged vehicle. If you are in an accident or rock crawling or even just driving, if one weld fails, its gonna hurt. May even kill you depending what breaks.
That is worst advice ive heard. Many car and jeeps can get a salvage title for many different reasons. You should not shy away from salvaged vehicles. Find out the reason why it has a salvage title and how long ago it had it. My jeep was hit from the front and was given a salvage title back in 2004, my jeep is 2004 LJ. My father bought the jeep and fixed it. Fast forward 9 year and 60k miles and I have not had ONE problem related to the crash. Ive wheeled many times and drive this jeep as my DD. Ive had an aftermarket part break before ive had a stock part break so far. Don't judge a jeep by its title.

OP for your #1: Check out the reason for it being salvaged, find out when it happened, how many miles it had when the crash happend and how many miles it has currently. Salvaged vehicles are not bad as long as the repairs were done right. You might miss out on a great cheap jeep if you overlook it just because its salvage title.

#2: Stick with the 4.0 ive read that the 4.2 has serious carb issues and the 4.0 puts out more power then the 4.2. Some people even say that the 4.2 produces less power then the 2.5L.

Goodluck on your hunt!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm not actually a jeep owner....yet. Just haven't found the right rig. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I live in St. Louis and there seems to be a descent number of SALVAGED title wranglers. I've never purchased a salvage car and not so sure I want to. any thoughts?

2. I've seen a couple of older 4.2s. Everyone i talk to tells me to stick to the 4.0i6. as a first timer, should I avoid the older 4.2s
I've owned two 4.2 rigs in the past and the carb is a nightmare. The 4.2 also has significantly lower horse power.

·
Registered
384 Posts

If you're looking at a vehicle as a regular consumer would, run a carfax and avoid the salvage units. That said, I've seen two TJ jeeps that should've been totaled (frame damage that was critical enough) that had clear titles. Thorough inspection regardless.

The 258 was last used on early YJs from like 1991 I think; the TJ Jeep of all years were EFI regardless of engine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
And if you want to avoid exhaust manifold repairs make sure to look at TJs with the two piece manifold(2000-up). Even aftermarket headers can crack on the one piece design

·
Registered
952 Posts
That is worst advice ive heard. Many car and jeeps can get a salvage title for many different reasons. You should not shy away from salvaged vehicles. Find out the reason why it has a salvage title and how long ago it had it. My jeep was hit from the front and was given a salvage title back in 2004, my jeep is 2004 LJ. My father bought the jeep and fixed it. Fast forward 9 year and 60k miles and I have not had ONE problem related to the crash. Ive wheeled many times and drive this jeep as my DD. Ive had an aftermarket part break before ive had a stock part break so far. Don't judge a jeep by its title.

OP for your #1: Check out the reason for it being salvaged, find out when it happened, how many miles it had when the crash happend and how many miles it has currently. Salvaged vehicles are not bad as long as the repairs were done right. You might miss out on a great cheap jeep if you overlook it just because its salvage title.

#2: Stick with the 4.0 ive read that the 4.2 has serious carb issues and the 4.0 puts out more power then the 4.2. Some people even say that the 4.2 produces less power then the 2.5L.

Goodluck on your hunt!
Really? The worst advice you've ever heard? Really? Check the facts, there are evil people out there who will cut corners to make a profit. Yes you can get lucky and have just cosmetic damage which many people will state on a salvage. If you know a mechanic who will check everything out, fine, but most people don't. I have my opinions, you have yours. He asked for them. You don't need to slam someone else just because your opinion differs. I stand by my opinion that I would not take the risk. I look out for the safety of my family, not just myself. But as they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Really? The worst advice you've ever heard? Really? Check the facts, there are evil people out there who will cut corners to make a profit. Yes you can get lucky and have just cosmetic damage which many people will state on a salvage. If you know a mechanic who will check everything out, fine, but most people don't. I have my opinions, you have yours. He asked for them. You don't need to slam someone else just because your opinion differs. I stand by my opinion that I would not take the risk. I look out for the safety of my family, not just myself. But as they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
I did not "slam" anyone. I was stating my opinion, first sentence was toward you, everything else was toward OP. I can argue about this all day but I will not argue on this thread. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh.

Dont judge a jeep by its title.

In the end salvage means words on a paper. Everything can be repairs to original standards, and sometimes its repaired above and beyond original.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Also forgot to add. When looking for your jeep. Make sure to check for rust on the frame. Look near control arm brackets and around the area the skid plate connects to the frame. Surface rust is common. If you find any deep rust in one area that would mean there could be rusy elsewhere.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did a search on cars.com 150 miles out from st louis and found this one for $8,500. I know its 1.5k more than what you have, but cash $ talks volumes to dealers vs financing. 8 reviewers also gave this place a great rating (which is usually a hard thing to get with a buy here pay here type of place. 2001 Jeep Wrangler SE
1/2 doors, ac, 2001, and only 85k miles. Looks like a good deal, wouldnt hurt to give em a call with your situation :)
I'm not sure where the idea that dealers prefer cash comes from. Financing is a HUGE profit center for a dealer. By paying cash, you're taking that profit center away, PLUS limiting their chances of generating profit from another big generator: AMO (aftermarket options) - warranty, etc.

That, however, should not discourage the OP. Going in to look at a $8500 TJ with $7000 would require some serious bargaining, but it's within the realm of possibility. On average, a dealer will have a markup of $1500-3000 on a vehicle in that price/age range, so it's not inconceivable that $7000 OTD could work. It's a long shot, but that's how the best deals come about.

If you're looking for a "deal", this is the worst time of year to find one on a Wrangler. Summer prices are high. That doesn't mean you can't find the occasional great deal, but they're few and far between at this time of year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts