Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions that I haven't found answers to in my searches so far. I figured maybe they would help others too. We have a JKU Rubicon that is pretty much stock.

1. What are the general capabilities of a stock JKUR? Specifically what can I do with it where I won't hurt it structurally? I am OK with a few scratches and a dent or too, but I don't want to bend an axle, or rip my muffler off.

2. What are some things I should not do with my Jeep. Are there certain things to stay away from unless I have a lift kit and larger tires?

3. Has anyone used fluid film, and attracted animals to it due to the smell? We will be in Grizzly country in a few weeks. Since there is a slight smell to it, I am wondering if I have made a poor decision.

4. What are some things that I can do that will make exploring/ off-roading fun for the other three passengers I will have in the Jeep? Should I let my wife drive for part of it? Should I let my kids(16 and 19) try it? Or should I just leave them at the hotel, while I get it out of my system?

5. Any tips for long highway drives in a jeep? Is 75MPH pretty stable? It seems to be, but we have decent roads around here.

6. If you could only do two mods to your JKUR, what would they be?

Thanks in advance! This is a great community you guys have here.

Tom

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I'll tackle a couple of these...

1. A lot. You really have to try real hard to hurt these things. Start out with small stuff and work your way up. The JKUR is extremely capable in its stock form.

2. Stay away from big rocks and sideways inclines until you know what you're doing.

5. You'll be fine at 75.... 85 as well.

6. I'll give you 4 since they're spread out and Jeep mods are like potato chips... you can't have just 1 or 2.... 2-3 inch lift and and Insane Audio head unit now. 35" tires when the stock ones wear out. Winch when you friends start to get tired of pulling you out.... ;) -- Never wheel alone unless it's just a dirt road or something as silly...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I'll tackle a couple of these... 1. A lot. You really have to try real hard to hurt these things. Start out with small stuff and work your way up. The JKUR is extremely capable in its stock form. 2. Stay away from big rocks and sideways inclines until you know what you're doing. 5. You'll be fine at 75.... 85 as well. 6. I'll give you 4 since they're spread out and Jeep mods are like potato chips... you can't have just 1 or 2.... 2-3 inch lift and and Insane Audio head unit now. 35" tires when the stock ones wear out. Winch when you friends start to get tired of pulling you out.... ;) -- Never wheel alone unless it's just a dirt road or something as silly...
I'll disagree with you on a couple things, but not for the sake of starting an argument.

I wouldn't drive my Jeep at 75-85mph on a trip, but that's just me. You're driving a 4k brick and Jeeps don't exactly have terrific stopping distances and they don't maneuver well at high speeds to avoid an accident. 70 is as high as I take mine, but that's just me.

If you're gonna off-road and not lift. I'd get a CB radio, armor (I use Rock Hard) and a winch. Like Pkai said, don't go alone and if you must, make sure someone knows where you are and when to expect you back.

Fwiw - I do some fairly hard off-roading in a totally stock Rubicon with no issues. Lift and 35's are coming one day soon but I've been fine at stock height.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The modifications I would do are: Lift/Winch/Steering Stabilizer/Soft top if you dont already have one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drive safe, I drive my JKUR 75+ all the time. Stable and no problem.

I have had my Jeep for 3 weeks now and did mods in this order...
-Wheels n tires (285/70/17s-DuraTrac), no lift, no issue, smoother ride better handling on road)
-HID headlight, LED reverse light bulbs
-Tint 20%
-DropTopz cargo deck
-Fuel door
-Smitty Rock Rail
-Magnaflow 15160 Axle back exhaust
-Getting audio done today (amp, new 6.5s, adding woofer to stock head unit)

If I can only pick 2, I would pick wheels n tires, and Audio upgrade if you the basic stock audio.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I'll disagree with you on a couple things, but not for the sake of starting an argument.

I wouldn't drive my Jeep at 75-85mph on a trip, but that's just me. You're driving a 4k brick and Jeeps don't exactly have terrific stopping distances and they don't maneuver well at high speeds to avoid an accident. 70 is as high as I take mine, but that's just me.
No argument there.... LOL... People should drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable at. I'm just saying the machine can safely do much better than 75..... As for the driver.. that's a very individual thing.

Fwiw - I do some fairly hard off-roading in a totally stock Rubicon with no issues. Lift and 35's are coming one day soon but I've been fine at stock height.
This is absolutely true and I should have mentioned it. He asked for mods, so I gave him some... but I should have said that while all are nice to have, NONE are necessary for 80% plus plus of all off-roading in America. The stock Rubicon is extremely capable as-is.

The CB radio and/or VHF is a good idea. I prefer VHF as you can hit repeaters, get better range, etc... but that really depends on what everyone else around you is using. Get whatever that is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

PKAI, thank you, good advice. I will start out slow. It's good to know there is a lot we can do with it as-is. Like potato chips huh? Looks like I will need to quit my photography addiction to pay for my jeep addiction.

JKYJeep, "If I can only pick 2, I would pick wheels n tires, and Audio upgrade if you the basic stock audio." That is really three. Using an n doesn't make Wheels and tires one thing. LOL I'm just kidding thanks!

SlowStang305, Steering Stabilizer? That is one I wouldn't have thought of. I will look into that more. The soft top doesn't count because that is one my wife wants. There are no limits for her mod list apparently. That is why I asked question #4. Thanks for your list!

Jeep1029, Some of the roads out West are posted 75. I drive safely and just wanted to make sure bump steer or something wasn't out there waiting to bite me above 70 or something. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Keviper1, I'm glad to hear that stock can do some pretty hard off-roading. It will probably handle much more than I can throw at it. Good idea to always let someone know where I am and when I should be back. I won't have the ability to drive with others, except for strangers out on the trail. Just two cars coming along with us and a schedule sadly dictated by a mother-in-law.

Thanks everyone. Great info!

One point I should have made earlier. The Fluid Film concern is based on the fact we will be camping a few yards away from our Jeep. I'm not worried about the jeep itself. It seems like great stuff and I'm sure it will protect the car from the elements. Hearing something walking around outside of your tent especially something large is really not something I want to encounter on this trip.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Hearing something walking around outside of your tent especially something large is really not something I want to encounter on this trip.
Get some bear spray and worry less.... It's basically pepper spray on steroids in a bigger can that sprays much further than the anti-human variety. Against bears and other large curious critters, its been scientifically proven to be more effective than any handgun in any caliber you could possibly carry and it doesn't kill or injure the animal.... Win-win. BTW, I say this as a petty staunch pro-gun-rights guy, so don't anyone read anything else into it... ;)

Enjoy your new Jeep. You and your family will love it and make tons of wonderful memories...... BTW, don't give up photography.... balance them both.. You will thank me later...

·
Registered
33 Posts
JKYJeep, "If I can only pick 2, I would pick wheels n tires, and Audio upgrade if you the basic stock audio." That is really three. Using an n doesn't make Wheels and tires one thing. LOL I'm just kidding thanks!
Lol you precisely read through my message.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
:welcome:

I'll try a few of these:
1. What are the general capabilities of a stock JKUR? Specifically what can I do with it where I won't hurt it structurally? I am OK with a few scratches and a dent or too, but I don't want to bend an axle, or rip my muffler off. Find local Jeepers and run some trails with them, they'll help you along the way

2. What are some things I should not do with my Jeep. Are there certain things to stay away from unless I have a lift kit and larger tires? Same as above. I'd wheel your Jeep before you decide on mods.

3. Has anyone used fluid film, and attracted animals to it due to the smell? We will be in Grizzly country in a few weeks. Since there is a slight smell to it, I am wondering if I have made a poor decision. Never used it

4. What are some things that I can do that will make exploring/ off-roading fun for the other three passengers I will have in the Jeep? Should I let my wife drive for part of it? Should I let my kids(16 and 19) try it? Or should I just leave them at the hotel, while I get it out of my system? I've wheeled with my wife and kids, from 25 to 14. Never have they been bored. And I've let them drive when they wanted to.

5. Any tips for long highway drives in a jeep? Is 75MPH pretty stable? It seems to be, but we have decent roads around here. Jeep is fine at any legal speed limit

6. If you could only do two mods to your JKUR, what would they be? CB, Winch

Thanks in advance! This is a great community you guys have here.

Tom
Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I drive 70 because I get better gas mileage. It'll go faster with no handling problems, but that's where I like it.

We (my wife and I) just wheeled this weekend in some pretty gnarly terrain with our 7 and 8 year olds and they had a blast. Let the kids drive if they can, it's a great experience and the Jeep can handle it.

Mods - I'd go CB and winch, or hi-lift with winch accessory kit since you have a Rubicon. Make sure you have proper recovery and emergency gear too though depending on where you'll be. I don't consider those as mods though -
That's simply the cost of admission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts