Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ak I can't even remember what the questions were...

First off, is armoral really as bad for the dash as the manual claims? There's a huge DO NOT USE ARMORAL in the care section. Just wondering.

Second, this crazy lady at work claims windex will eat through my rear window like acid. She's never owned a wrangler, but her son had one for awhile, but it's hard to take her seriously.

Third, the same crazy lady says my engine will go before 50,000 if I don't let it warm up for at least 10 mins when it's below 70.

Last, since the use of an ice scraper is obviously a no no, how do you get ice off the rear window?

Hopefully this doesn't post twice...or the mods talk to one another so both posts don't get deleted. :D

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I'm pretty sure windex clouds the plastic of soft top windows. Not sure if it's like Alien blood on them but I could be wrong.

Don't know anything about the ice, since there is no such thing here in california other than in a cooler on the beach. And I hate armoral anyways, so I don't use it. Smells gross. :D ... dang, guess I wasn't much help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure it clouds too, but she says it'll eat it away.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm interested in the window de-icing as well. haven't had to worry about it yet but it will come up soon. I've only had my Jeep for one season and the windows are already in pretty sorry shape, I'd rather not scratch them any more than I have too.

as for the 50,000 mile thing, I call BS on that. Back in the old days with the thick oil that older engines would use it would take a little while before that oil moved up into the parts and lubed everything up when it was cold. With todays engines and thinner oil it gets to work a lot quicker getting rid of those problems (mostly)

I heard about the armor all not being the best for the dash too. I personally use Murphys oil soap for cleaning everything, I just make a solution of that and some water and take a damp rag and wipe it all down, it cleans everyting really well, smells pretty good, and you only need to buy one cleaner vs. buying one for every little thing. I think it works great as a car wash too, I didn't belive it till I tried it but I've tried every car wash out there and with the price vs what u get Murphys gets my vote.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I never heard that. I'll volunteer Scout to put it on his windows and see :D
I just tried it. My windows are fine but my finger nail polish is GONE! :D :flipoff:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
1. If your manual says don't use armor all, I'd go with it.

2. I wouldn't use glass cleaner. A mild soap and water is fine.

3. She's full of crap. I have 110,000 miles and there are many on here that have gone much more than that. I don't usually let mine warm up much. This aint the old days. I'll let 'er warm some if it's really cold, but I don't have that issue in Mississippi.

4. I don't know. Maybe take the windows out and take them inside for a few minutes? Never had an ice issue before. Maybe someone else can help you out.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
I second the Murphys oil soap. Good stuff and it smells nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi
- I've never heard about the armorall claim. I use it but dissolve it in water because otherwise I get dog hair all over my dashboard. Within the last few weeks, since I run out of it, I used Turtlewax's wax spray on everything, not shiny and less messy. I think I like it better.
- I've used windex for about 2 years and didn't notice much damage on the windows. For ice I used a rubber ended (or maybe it's really soft plastic - can't remember) scraper that I bought at one of the autopart places last winter. Before that one I used to cut the sharp corners from the small plastic ones. I also like cracking it from the inside just pushing out the windows with small punches.
- I used to warm up my 82 bimmer but never done it with the Jeep. Maybe it's because I'm always late and in a rush but I'm at 80k already and the engine runs awesome.

Murphy's ha? I gotta try it...thank you!

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
My family used to own a '93 Geo Tracker with a soft top and to ge the ice off its windows we just tapped them a bit and then used a regular rubber sqweegee. Works fine.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Engine-I have 75k on mine and never let it warm up. This is an old wives tale from before fuel injection. Cold=Choke=Washing the rings out. I still find myself cringing when my vehicles run cold for a long period of time, I shouldn't but old habits and all. There are a few things that will shorten engine life; two of the most common are Abusing the engine and not changing the oil/fluids(a form of abuse IMO).

Armor all- (now this is my opinion only) Armor all isn't good for anything except maybe a fluid paper weight. Not sure why but over time your dash will crack, might have something to do with the sealing nature of the product.

Ice on the windows-With the top being flexible, I usually just fire it up and head out. The first time you open and close the window the top will flex (with the vent is on high to bubble the top) and knock any ice off my top/windows but we don't deal with near the ice you would have there. Anouther option is to tap on the back side of the windows if needed.

Window cleaner- Same as everyone else said, it will cloud the windows over time, but I have never heard of it eating through them. Best bet is definitely soapy water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok, i was a professional car detailer for a few years, the reason that armor-all sucks is that it is a petroleum based product( so it seals and coats) find something with a water base. as for windex on windows, the ammonium in it will eventually eat the plastic, will take forever, but it can do it. thats the reason its bad to use on tinted windows also. use somthing with an alcohol or water based.

as for warming the engine up. i had an old cj that had over 110,000 on it before my father-in-law took it for a work/hunting ride. engine will blow up my fat @$$!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's another one. I got my little love box brand new, and there was a bag full of thin straps with plastic slider clips. At first I thought they might be for rolling up the windows, but there's a lot of them and I think they're too small for that...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Here's another one. I got my little love box brand new, and there was a bag full of thin straps with plastic slider clips. At first I thought they might be for rolling up the windows, but there's a lot of them and I think they're too small for that...

Are you on drugs?????????????

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My fault.........You were only asking another question, on your own thread..........sorry, I missed that. We got those with our Rubicon, and I lost most of them, as I did not know what they were for. Sorry about the confusion. Damn I feel pretty stupid right about now.................

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Erm, ok. I just saw a pic of someone using one of those little straps to attatch a gas can to their spare. And if it makes you feel any better, I feel pretty stupid too blu.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts