Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my ignition will bow to just about any flat object. Is this a known issue on '99 wranglers? I'm also unable to get it into the "steering column locked" position as well. I went ahead and lowered my theft deductable to $100 today, just in case.. :nonono:
Should I just try and get ahold of a new tumbler?

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I bought my Jeep the key was broke off in ignition. Went to my local autozone and they had a replacement tumbler ( only came with one key) for like $75-80. I believe the manufacture was doorman... Just a heads up the tumbler has to be in the on position in order to remove it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I figured it out, there's a little button on the side of the steering wheel that I have to press in to get it into the fully locked position. Weird.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I figured it out, there's a little button on the side of the steering wheel that I have to press in to get it into the fully locked position. Weird.

Mine is doing the same thing. Would you be willing to post a pic of the button? I haven't found any button but my steering wheel wont lock and the you can start it with a flat head. It's been bugging the crap outta me. :facepalm:

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I can start my 99 with the key to my 2004 Chevy Blazer the cut it so close it works. I actually like being able to start it with any key I pull out of my pocket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is doing the same thing. Would you be willing to post a pic of the button? I haven't found any button but my steering wheel wont lock and the you can start it with a flat head. It's been bugging the crap outta me. :facepalm:
From the '04 tj manual:

It is still annoying that I can take the key out without it being in the locked position (not to mention the key falls out from vibrations sometime..) Maybe I'll see if the local locksmith can do anything about that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pull the cylinder and take it to a lock shop. Have them recut a key based on the tumblers. That fixed my 'pulls out at any position', which isn't really a problem in itself IF everyone that drives it pays attention to lock it when parked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the '04 tj manual:

It is still annoying that I can take the key out without it being in the locked position (not to mention the key falls out from vibrations sometime..) Maybe I'll see if the local locksmith can do anything about that.
Well darn, mines and automatic and doesn't have that button. I dunno whats causing mine. It just started about a week ago. Been kinda frustrating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a manual transmission and this button. What is the point of it? Had the jeep for 9 years so it's become completely automatic for me, but I do chuckle when someone else drives it and can't figure out how to get the key out. Then I have to think it through, since I'm not used to thinking about it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pull the cylinder and take it to a lock shop. Have them recut a key based on the tumblers.
I might give that a try for sure.. I'm not used to it at all, and I've continued to leave my ignition "un-locked."

I too am curious why they set it up this way

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a type of safety device so you couldn't take the key out while driving down the road and lock the steering wheel left or right then crash and die. An automatic Jeep you (theoretically) can't take the key out unless it's in park. That's why only manuals have it.

My brother has actually done this in his old rx7, trying to show off for a girl. Ended up in a ditch. Both him,her,and the car came out unscathed because of the slow speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, the steering wheel lock. That does make sense.

Funny that you mention old RX7's in a key cylinder thread; I had an 85 that I could easily remove the key from while running ... with those rotaries not liking the cold much it was nice on winter mornings that I could set the choke, start up, pull the key, and go back inside where it was warm, and wait. Never tried a screwdriver on it but honestly wouldn't surprise me if it worked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts