Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To both Matador and Ilikeguns for helping install a RK 2.5 Flex System in my JKUR yesterday. We started at roughly 10:30, and wrapped up nearly 6:30.

The jeep looks great, and more importantly runs great with a much better ride than before. I cant thank these two guys enough, and it is a testament to the goodwill that jeepers have towards one another to take time from their families to help someone out they met through an online forum.

We gained a total of roughly 3 inches of lift, but that was coming from a baseline measurement which included an installed leveling kit, not stock. Install was a smooth as can be expected for these types of things with a few small hiccups that were problem solved along the way. That, and I dropped a wrench on my forehead and I now look like someone took a red magic marker between my eyes.

Pics soon to follow, thanks again gentlemen, and Matador couldnt be more of a gentlemen or a nicer guy for having us over and helping install the lift. Good stuff fellas!

·
Registered
149 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

Good to hear. Good peeps do exist.

However, worthless without pics!!! Including the bump!!!

I was inching toward a leveling kit and some 18' Cranks but they are now sitting in my garage in the form of a 5550 Watt Generator and a Transfer Switch. :nonono::banghead::nonono:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, Lou must be a pro at installing the RK kits by now! Where on the island are you at?
I'm out in Smithtown, it was honestly a blast putting the kit in, the RK stuff is BEEEEFFFYYY for sure. The exhaust spacers gave us some problems (lining up the exhausts, we ended up rigging the stock jack in there to crank it over) and one of the upper shock nuts was problematic)

Right now I have 33 Duratracs on there, 35s coming this week!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Do you have a garage door into your living room or just have hardwood floors in your garage?

By the way, nice ride. Let us know how it handles with the new lift, I am still searching for the right lift and am always scanning for positive comments, I think that I am down to Rock Krawler and Tera-Flex.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have a garage door into your living room or just have hardwood floors in your garage?

By the way, nice ride. Let us know how it handles with the new lift, I am still searching for the right lift and am always scanning for positive comments, I think that I am down to Rock Krawler and Tera-Flex.
Thats Matador's garage- he finished it with nice flooring- looks great and sure made it easy to slide around under the jeep!

I dont have much to say about the Teraflex lift, but I can say that the RK lift when paired with good shocks (I went with the Bilsteins) rides great! Im sure you cant go wrong with either lift.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good choice going with the RK! I love my RK 3.5 X Factor with the Bilsteins :thumb:

·
Registered
736 Posts
fun times yesterday.. Also.. Lou is just an all around good dude. Really cool of him to volunteer his time, garage and skills.

My favorite part was removing the evo armor to access the exhaust spacers and having half of Rausch Creek pour into my mouth. Like I said.. fun times.

Fun fact: Lou has done 3-4 of these kits and his jeep is still at stock height. When it's his time to install, there will be the mother of all wrenching parties.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm planning on doing the RK 2.5 X Factor. I have the EVO Protek Skid System on now and was wondering how well the exhaust spacers worked with the Skid System?

And not to derail this thread, that is one nice Jeep!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm planning on doing the RK 2.5 X Factor. I have the EVO Protek Skid System on now and was wondering how well the exhaust spacers worked with the Skid System?

And not to derail this thread, that is one nice Jeep!
No issues.. you will need to take off the factory transfer case skid plate and the evo exhaust crossover skid in order to install one of the spacers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
haha, good stuff. As you can see in the photo above I had a blast. For me its a win/win, I get to work on Jeeps and I get to help other Jeep owners out while making new friends. Both Kurtz and ilikeguns were great guys to hang out with, I honestly had a great time and I'm sure we will be hanging out more often with a possible trip to Rausch coming up. Once again guys, it was a pleasure and if you ever need anything else my "luxurious" garage is open :rofl:

·
Registered
632 Posts
That's the first time I've ever seen a laminate floor in a garage. Complete with molding! For some reason, I think it needs a widescreen on the wall.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No issues.. you will need to take off the factory transfer case skid plate and the evo exhaust crossover skid in order to install one of the spacers.
Just remember to keep your mouth closed if you've had a recent wheeling trip. Just ask guns.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Between the mouth full of dirt and the close "scalping" as the shield came crashing down, I would say that he walked away in good shape. :thumb:

As for the garage, the previous home owner had it closed off as a pool room, which explains the floor molding and nicely colored walls. When I bought the house I tore the wall blocking the garage door down. I then had to finish the flooring which was just a slab of cement, I could have gone with race-deck or another garage tile but I came across dirt cheap laminate flooring and for less than $150 I knocked the flooring out in 2 days. Its held up pretty well, I just have to be careful of standing water. Other than that it works great to slide around on and keep clean. Also, I do have a TV mounted to the wall, its an old school tube TV but it still works.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The exhaust spacers gave us some problems (lining up the exhausts, we ended up rigging the stock jack in there to crank it over) and one of the upper shock nuts was problematic)
Looks great! I have the same kit at home waiting to be installed. I'm hoping to do it myself with a little help of course. So far I've done all of my modifications myself and am trying to keep it that way for as long as I can. That said, I've never done a lift and any pointers you could share would be appreciated. Specifically, what brand of exhaust spacers did you put in? Also, was the problematic shock nut the front passenger top shock nut? I think I've read about an issue getting that one off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts