Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

So I've never messed with a CB radio before, but I've finally realized that it would be useful when I'm out on the trail. I've read that the radio itself isn't really what matters, it's the antenna. I don't need any crazy bells and whistles, because it's just for trail use only.

What do you guys suggest as a good set up? I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money, but I'm not looking to skimp out either. I want an antenna that's out of the way. I'd also rather have a fiberglass antenna as well.

-Mike

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Mike,

I just set mine up. Here's what I did with pictures.

I bought an off the shelf Cobra (19 Ultra III) from Wal-Mart for ~$40. I bought the coaxial and mounting adapter from 4wd.com. I bought a 2 foot Firestik antenna from the first place I found online that had one. (Most places stop a 3') Jerry Bransford had recommended the 2' antenna due to the fact that I wanted to use a tail light mount bracket.

I made my own CB mounting bracket but ordered the tail light bracket (teraflex). It ended up being on backorder so I made my own tail light mount as well. :cool:

Enough talk. Here are the pictures. :D

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
If you have a soft top and/or no paging alarm, I might suggest a hand held CB.
I started out with a handheld ($100) and it sucks. It does not receive well at all. My permanent set up is much better for the same amount of money, and if I take it all out no one will ever know it was in there due to the way I installed all of the components.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the entire set up run you?

It looks like that's the way I'm gonna go.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm running the Cobra Ultra III as well. Mounted very nicely under the ashtray on the YJ. Drilled two very small holes and the size of it is perfect for that location. Running a Firestik and good, but inexpensive 18' cable which both were purchased from the local Pilot or Luvs or whatever truck stop I happened to be at.

The main this is get an adjustable antenna and tune it with an SWR meter. CB ran about $40, Firestik around $20 and I can't remember the price of the coax.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Just as an FYI-

My Cobra mod 29LTD BT and Firestik 4' antenna ran about $160 1½ yrs ago-

I can Receive from over 50 miles (not counting weather sat) and xmitt about 12 miles

You've gotta get the antenna above the roof line and tune to your CB, for max ops

Here in the snow, I was listening to truckers at the Donner summitt (55 miles) complaining, that the CHP had just closed I80 (yesterday 3:00PM)

Happy New Year

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
466 Posts
I mounted mine in the center console. Keeps it outa sight and outa my way. Also something to think about. A boomer makes 1000x easier to hear than the stock speaker. Here's my set up with the boomer

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm sure other people gotta be wondering what is the tuning swr thing? More info plz on going to install my cv tomarrow an im stopping at flying j on the way home for my fire stick and ingot the teraflex taillight mount

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are guys on here who I'm sure will chime in with the specific procedure, but basically you attach the meter to the cb and then "tune" the antenna until the output is optimal for your set up and placement. The reason a lot of guys go with firestik imo, is that tuning it is simple- you adjust a brass screw in the tip end of the antenna. Others involve sniping a bit of the antenna off to make it shorter- thus tuning it.

there have been a couple of radios that I'n looking at which seem to have swr meter built in. seems handy- once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts