Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace some frame around the rear shackles(passenger and drivers side) since I will be welding and grinding near the gas tank should I just remove the tank to do this. My wife is pretty sure she doesn't want me to blow the house up. What's the best way to attack this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did a lot of grinding and welding back there too ... obviously the safest thing to do is to remove the tank. I ended up just covering the area in welding blankets because I knew they could withstand any sparking and would contain it all. I didn't have any problems but again, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Throw some PB blaster on there and let it soak on the bolts holding the tank and skid up. Dropping the tank isn't as bad as it sounds. Just run as much as you can out of the the tank so it's lighter. Once that tank and skid are out of the way, you'll have a ton more room to work back there as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just did this last weekend for the first time, tank removal, that is. It wasn't bad at all, when i took it out, i left the filler hoses and nozzle attached to the tank but when i re-installed it, i put them back on separately. Like anything, the re-install took more of an effort it seemed like, still it wasn't anything a spare set of hands and a floor jack couldn't take care of. And btw, i had to cut just about every bolt to get the thing out so i replaced all of the hardware while i was at it. I have the same frame problems so i'll be dealing with those...some time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts