Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little non-Jeep because the rust isn't in my Jeep but I think it's very worthy of discussion.

So I bought a mini-trampoline (for cardio - had a big heart glitch last year) and the lady I bought it from must have stored it outside because when I get it home it drips the tell tale orange water...

Pull the legs off and there is rust in there. See pics.

Here's the question: now that's it dried off and it won't be outside getting more water is the rust gonna stop or does it just keep corroding and eating away?

Second question: if the rust is an ongoing issue what do I spray in there to stop it?

I figure this has a lot of relevance to Jeeping as we all find rust on our Jeeps from time to time. What do we do about it?

If you're thinking this isn't Jeep related substitute "special ordered custom bikini top for my JK" every where you see "mini-trampoline." LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
973 Posts
I'd just spray the inside with PB Blaster and let it sit a couple days. Then take more PB Blaster, spray that connection and put it back together. If it's inside you're not hardly going to see anymore rust forming in that joint. Might want to also spray the pipe end, let it sit a few days then wipe it off. PB Blaster pretty much will stop anymore rusting especially when it's no longer exposed to the elements. Easy, inexpensive and simple to prevent anymore rusting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It will need moisture and oxygen to continue to rust, which is difficult to avoid. I suggest since it's on the inside of the tubes to use cosmoline spray. The I've used the CRC and the Cosmoline Direct. The CRC you need lots of ventilation as it proliferates itself and I recommend a mask and googles however I would recommend the CRC for inside the tubes. The cosmoline direct is more user freindly in it doesn't proliferate as bad and the odor isn't quite as strong. Either of these will provide a thick protective waxy coating that can only be removed with solvent.

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/heavy-duty-corrosion-inhibitor-10-wt-oz-06026.html

https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. The metal is going to fall apart long after the rubber. At that point, you'll be throwing the whole thing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts