Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long day at work, I was running late for my daughters swim meet so I drove straight there and met my wife and her at the away pool. I parked my JKU in front of a pile of rocks surrounding what I believe was a well pipe and off to the meet I go. After the meet, I jumped in the jeep and, yep, proceeded to drive right over the well pipe and managed to get hung up on the pipe. After getting a few friends to help lift the front off of the pipe, I surveyed the damage to the jeep underside. The plastic air dam was ripped off and a cross member (I believe its part of the frame) is bent (I have attached an image).
Now my question...
Aside from feeling like a dumbass that I did this to myself, should I be worried about the bent crossmember?:atomic:
Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looks like the crash bar? I believe some people cut the whole thing out for better approach angle or to fit certain bumpers. Not sure if leaving it in bent is any worse than cutting it out, don't imagine it is as long as the frame isnt being flexed by the deformed crash bar. I'd imagine the main frame rails are a lot stronger than this bar, so they should still be straight. But I'd look for posts from somebody more knowledgeable than me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
After a long day at work, I was running late for my daughters swim meet so I drove straight there and met my wife and her at the away pool. I parked my JKU in front of a pile of rocks surrounding what I believe was a well pipe and off to the meet I go. After the meet, I jumped in the jeep and, yep, proceeded to drive right over the well pipe and managed to get hung up on the pipe. After getting a few friends to help lift the front off of the pipe, I surveyed the damage to the jeep underside. The plastic air dam was ripped off and a cross member (I believe its part of the frame) is bent (I have attached an image).
Now my question...
Aside from feeling like a dumbass that I did this to myself, should I be worried about the bent crossmember?:atomic:
Thanks...
Bar is thinner metal than the frame is more for supporting the air dam and protecting lower part of the radiator&steering.
Front crossmember is tubular behind the crumple zone.
IMO can live as is, hide it behind "new" air dam.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Trust me, some of us have bent much worse!

Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you're worried about that, this Jeep is going to give you heart attack.

I keep my rigs as pristine as possible for as long as possible, but have noticed with every scratch I get the Jeep becomes more and more capable of things I wouldn't have considered. With this mentality you should be ready for some drainage ditches with or without water :thumb:

Good luck,

Jeff B.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
its fine. could always heat it up and bash it back. the plastic air damn you prob can pick up off of creigslist for cheap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the respnses & piece of mind.

This is my first Wrangler so I was not sure what I was looking at when I bent up the crash bar. Just knew it was welded to the frame and I was thinking the worst.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is my first Wrangler so I was not sure what I was looking at when I bent up the crash bar. Just knew it was welded to the frame and I was thinking the worst.
that's a useless piece that many cut off. in fact, Jeep realized it was useless as well and got rid of it on the JLs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just replaced my bumpers and air dam with 10A steel. You can have my air dam if you pay the freight.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I keep my rigs as pristine as possible for as long as possible, but have noticed with every scratch I get the Jeep becomes more and more capable of things I wouldn't have considered.

Jeff B.

I remember years ago when I was so very careful of my then new PU, a 1990 Dodge W250. After I put a scratch on it a friend say "Good, now you can do real work with it".

The first scratch is the traumatic one. I use to drive my TJ through the woods without worrying about scratching it. Then I had it repainted, the dent in the hood repaired and new wheels and tires. Now it doesn't go near the woods. Once I get that first scratch, I will be able to use it more.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
My first time doing some "real" rock crawling with the club, I did this. Didn't care as much after that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
"The first scratch is the traumatic one."

Bought my '13 JKU from a buddy. He kept it in pretty pristine condition. Once it became mine, I washed it constantly, waxed it periodically, kept it covered every night. We had one snow last winter and my 7 year old decided to help me (without my knowledge) clean the snow off the Jeep. He used his little snow shovel, you know the plastic one with the metal rivets, to drag the snow off the hood...along with the paint. I see it every day I drive it now. I love him, but not sure I've forgiven him yet. Hahahahahahaha! It's ready for the rocks now.

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
When I bought my '13 JKUR, I noticed some past damage on the skid plates starting to show a little rust. With a wire brush and a spray can of Rustoleum, that problem should be solved in short order.
Paint might not match, but it's underneath and will prevent rust from spreading; so who cares?
no whining now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts