Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probably be flogged, but I did it. I have a replacement for my cancer-ridden beastie. Not real pretty, but straight, with fewer miles, and most important, NO RUST!

https://www.thornhillmotorcompany.com/1999_Jeep_Wrangler_Lake Worth_TX_25554204.veh

I'll have quite a bit of work to do to it, but most of the bad stuff will be corrected as I swap all the good stuff off of mine, onto this one. One thing it will give me, the addition of a hard top and full doors, a plus in my book, as I have half doors and a soft top.

In any case, I'll have something to keep me busy for the next few months...not a bad thing.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The trip home revealed some issues, not that I'm surprised, at all. At around 65, the rear end develops an odd oscillation...I'm thinking it's the shocks, or at least one rear shock. I also think there's a bushing up front that's going bad.

As near as I can tell, it's got a 4" Skyjacker lift on it, with non-adjustable control arms. If I get home early enough from work, I can crawl underneath it, tomorrow and look things over.

It's also somewhat under-geared. 60 miles an hour gives me an RPM of about 2300 to 2400...in 4th gear. It's got 275x70R18 tires on it (basically a 33" tire).

Sigh...a 3" body lift, that's causing all the crap that a 3" body lift brings with it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Nice! Take it from me... If you are thinking of doing any of the following: exhaust replacement, valve cover gasket replacement, crank position sensor... Take full advantage of all the extra working room that a 3" body lift gives you.

I did valve cover gasket and the bolts in the back were very easy to reach, because the fire wall was not on top of things.

I also did full exhaust system replacement. The added clearance allowed me to slide the muffler and main cat out without having to drop the skid plate.

Yeah... I would love to swap over my 3" body lift for the 1" and go with the 3" suspension lift. But I still have some more mechanical work to do first and I have really appreciated the tons of room I have to reach things and pull parts out if needed.

Just a thought... You could save some headaches.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Nice save. I would have done the same. Swap your components from your donor and you are way ahead in every aspect. It will be yours all over again in no time, only healthy.
Congratulations.

PS, changing the beastly 3 inch body lift to a one inch gives you the best of both worlds. Clearances, and better looks. I had to do the same to mine when I bought so many years ago.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the plan. My red TJ has a 1.25" body lift on it now, with a 1" engine lift. Makes the drive line angles a little better.

Part of the plan on the blue one is to install a JB Conversions Mega-Short SYE...every little bit helps, and maybe I can install a belly up skid plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts