Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I learned something today a little late lol. So I bought 17x9 wheels with 4.25 backspace and 37x12.5x17 tires - Nitto Trail Grapplers. Couldnt figure out why I was grazing my RK front control arms. I was looking at something else brought up in a WF post on Nittos so went to their website. I didnt find an answer to that posters question....but did resolve my mystery.

The 12.5 width... is actually 13.43! So they size width down. Explains my rub - that is nearly an inch difference. The tires are closer to a 13.5 than a 12.5.

So the dilemma. I doubt I am going to be able to find wheels with an inch less backspace. Do they even make wheels with 3 or 3.25 backspace? I absolutely love the tires. Looks like I may need to consider spacers, which I really didnt want to do. Any other options? I cant adjust that much out of my steering stops obviously.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If they are only grazing the control arms, I would try a few washers first to see if that solves it. Quick and free.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Define "grazing" if its just barely touching you could probably get away with the sandwich type spacers. If its touching pretty good pick up some 1" spacers. A buddy of mine runs the same tire and he's got some paint missing on his frame from the rub. He's got wheels too. Big ol' tire haha

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I learned something today a little late lol. So I bought 17x9 wheels with 4.25 backspace and 37x12.5x17 tires - Nitto Trail Grapplers. Couldnt figure out why I was grazing my RK front control arms. I was looking at something else brought up in a WF post on Nittos so went to their website. I didnt find an answer to that posters question....but did resolve my mystery.

The 12.5 width... is actually 13.43! So they size width down. Explains my rub - that is nearly an inch difference. The tires are closer to a 13.5 than a 12.5.

So the dilemma. I doubt I am going to be able to find wheels with an inch less backspace. Do they even make wheels with 3 or 3.25 backspace? I absolutely love the tires. Looks like I may need to consider spacers, which I really didnt want to do. Any other options? I cant adjust that much out of my steering stops obviously.
One of my wheeling buddies just bought the 37" Trail Grapplers at the same time he re-geared to 5.13s. Same exact issue that you have... He is running flat fenders and a 3" Mopar lift. (The one with Fox shocks/remote res) He installed his old wheel spacers (He also got new 4.5" back space wheels when he bought the tires) and is still rubbing with approx. 3.5" back space.. I tried to get him to sell me those new tires as they would look and perform SWEET on my Power Wagon but noooooo. He'd rather spend $10,000 on a deluxe 5.5" suspension. (Rock Crawler)

By the way, not to de-rail the thread.... He loves the 37" tires/5.13 gear combo! He has a Rubicon 6 sp with 4.10 gears stock and was running 35" MTRs for a year. We 4x4 on fairly hard trails and the new tire/gear combo are a major improvement... Except for the rubbing.

:)

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is rubbing paint off. Not totally into the arm, but contacting paint at full lock. Hmmmm - added to my list of fix its.

Hammertime - are you saying going to RK long arm would move the control arms out of the tires? Or something else? I would feel better doing the long arm upgrade than doing wheel spacers.

Suspension Related Fix It List so Far:
1 Mitigate Effects of Axle Push Back - move one or more or all of rear spring mounts, rear track bar, rear sway bar
2 Relocate/clip brake lines
3 Something about tire rub which does not include changing tires because I really like them

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
you can get Interco Birddog rims 17x9 with 3.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry about the rubbing, mommymallcrawler. Although I envy you for the 37s :thumb:

Little off topic but while I'm here, how's the road noise for the Trail Grapplers? Husband has some Mud Grapplers on his truck and you can hear them coming about two minutes before you see him! :whistling:

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can get Interco Birddog rims 17x9 with 3.5" backspacing.
Hmmmm. Will check these out. Maybe with these and a few washers I can at least lessen the contact.

Sorry about the rubbing, mommymallcrawler. Although I envy you for the 37s :thumb:

Little off topic but while I'm here, how's the road noise for the Trail Grapplers? Husband has some Mud Grapplers on his truck and you can hear them coming about two minutes before you see him! :whistling:
I have heard the Mud Grapplers are really loud. I wont say the Trail Grapplers are passenger street tire quiet, but I wouldnt say they are loud either. Doesnt bother me. I absolutely love the tires. I will make them work.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
You must be following every little rut in the road with those 13.5" wide tires...I would go with 12.5" wide tires... big grin..

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-running-6in-long-arm-lift-with-37-a-1085202-2.html#post16707290

Washers...now your starting to scare me...I hope your kidding...

For what it's worth wheel spacers are no big deal and will fix your problem. Just know how to maintain them with wheel rotations...

SC
ah that would be for the steering stops not lug nots lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
Steering stops are bolts in the knuckles not washers...or am I missing something...?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just looked at my JK...I see now. My CJ uses a jam nut behind the bolt...

Thanks,

SC

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had some rubbing with my 35's so I added the washers to my steer stops, and with my 37's installed I didn't have any rubbing. Same tires and wheel size however I think my backspacing was a little higher than what was mentioned

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to the shop that has my rig installing my hydroassist. He gave me some options:

Option A: do nothing and let it rub - it isnt enough into the arms to bother anything other than paint
Option B: new wheels like the Birddogs with lower backspace
Option C: long arm upgrade may buy a little room because it shifts the arms a little inboard

He did not recommend wheel spacers. He also did not recommend washers in the steering stops.

For now I am going to wait it out with Option A until I decide on B or C. Or until an unplanned upgrade opportunity presents itself - like bending a wheel most likely.

I need to get my rear end issues addressed first lol (relocating sway bar, track bar and maybe coils - waiting on my other shop to get back to me with an estimate and defined plan of attack).

·
Registered
356 Posts
It is rubbing paint off. Not totally into the arm, but contacting paint at full lock. Hmmmm - added to my list of fix its.

Hammertime - are you saying going to RK long arm would move the control arms out of the tires? Or something else? I would feel better doing the long arm upgrade than doing wheel spacers.

Suspension Related Fix It List so Far:
1 Mitigate Effects of Axle Push Back - move one or more or all of rear spring mounts, rear track bar, rear sway bar
2 Relocate/clip brake lines
3 Something about tire rub which does not include changing tires because I really like them
I will not know for sure until the lift kit is installed on his rig... He ordered it 3 weeks ago and it's still not here. I understand the kit he has on order is not stocked. It is build it when ordered...

I will definitely let you know when it's installed, but now that you mention the wide track I'm thinking it may still rub with his 4.5" backspace rims. I'm not sure about the JKs but Carli, Thuren and a couple other vendors make control arms that actually bend away from the tires for Ram heavy duties. With a 2" level and the offset control arms I could run 37"s without rubbing on my Power Wagon... Well, I'm not sure about 13.4" track width tires though!

I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Hammertime! My shop said the LA "may" help as the arms shift a little, but he couldnt guarantee it would eliminate the issue altogether. So curious to see how your friends lift plays out.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
I talked to the shop that has my rig installing my hydroassist. He gave me some options:

Option A: do nothing and let it rub - it isnt enough into the arms to bother anything other than paint
Option B: new wheels like the Birddogs with lower backspace
Option C: long arm upgrade may buy a little room because it shifts the arms a little inboard

He did not recommend wheel spacers. He also did not recommend washers in the steering stops.

For now I am going to wait it out with Option A until I decide on B or C. Or until an unplanned upgrade opportunity presents itself - like bending a wheel most likely.

I need to get my rear end issues addressed first lol (relocating sway bar, track bar and maybe coils - waiting on my other shop to get back to me with an estimate and defined plan of attack).

If you install washers you probably will NOT notice the reduction in turning radius, or you can put enough armor all on your tires to keep your control arms rust free. Oh wait, you live in AZ..

Now if you're one of those credit card Jeepers just throw down for the Long Arm and sleep better at night knowing your shop is happy. Just curious, how many shops do you have?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts