Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a '97 - '00 TJ.

Will I regret buying a 4cyl instead of a 6cyl? I plan on 4x4, but not rock climbing.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking for a '97 - '00 TJ. Will I regret buying a 4cyl instead of a 6cyl? I plan on 4x4, but not rock climbing. Thank you in advance.
you still going to need the extra power going off road in sand and mud, but if you're thinking of building your own then you can modify it later

·
Registered
340 Posts
So glad I was patient and waited for everything I wanted. 4.0L, full doors, no rust, etc.

In the end, I think it ended up saving me more money to just wait and buy one with most of what I wanted rather than rebuild it into what I wanted. I've still done tons to it, though.

And I also searched every surrounding state to mine. Took about a year of looking, but finally found one in great condition, and priced way lower than others like it.

Now looking for a Dana 44 axle for pennies. I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I looked at jeeps for over a year before the perfect one came along. It had to be a 4.0 automatic (my betterhalf was not comfortable with a stick). It had to have A/C and half doors. We did make a concession on the doors. It had to have less than 100k on the miles and be rust free and the right price. Now you can see why it took a year. But we did wait and not only did we get what we were looking for but it also came with the towbar for towing it behind our motorhome and a braking system for towing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm looking for a '97 - '00 TJ.

Will I regret buying a 4cyl instead of a 6cyl? I plan on 4x4, but not rock climbing.

Thank you in advance.
In my opinion yes, in other people's opinion no. Drive both decide what you like. If you plan to lift and run bigger tires the 4.0 will be much more forgiving and easier to drive IMO. Gonna be preference more than anything but how many 6 cyl to 4 cyl swaps do you see? Compared to the tons of 4cyl to 6cyl swap

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
6 or 4 cylinder

I have had Jeeps with both in them. Right now I have a 98 TJ with a 2.5 in it. I love it. For driving around town and some off-roading it works great. You do suffer a bit on the Hwy. If you are looking for something to ride around town or even go off-road, top off with some girls in your jeep then the 4 cylinder will suffice. If you are looking for hwy crusing a ton and extreme off-roading then the 6 is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
In low range, the 2.5 and 4.0 are pretty much equal in their offroad ability. Where the 2.5 lacks in high range is pulling long hills/grades. You will eventually get to where you are going though. Figure there is about a $2000-$3000 difference in price between the two.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I love my 2.5. One good thing about 2.5 is they always come with 4.10 gears. At least manuals do any way. I'm not sure about the autos. Only thing I would trade my 2.5 for would be a rubicon or an lj.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you've never had either, you won't know what you're missing, but after having a 4 cyl yj, and now a 6 cyl tj, I'd keep looking for one with a 4.0. Both good (great,reliable) engines. If you just cruise around with the top down, no big deal but as soon as you go up a tire size, you'll be looking for a little more power. Gas mileage differance is close to the same, imo

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ive had the 4 cyl....will never go back to that! The 6 cyl is no speed demon, but the extra power is VERY worth having. As the saying goes: Better to have and not need, then need and not have.....Keep looking. Jeeps are a dime a dozen these days....one will come along in no time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You will hate yourself and your Jeep if you buy the 4 cyl. Sorry and apologies to the 4 banger croud but the Jeep is a steel vehicle and is there fore heavy. the 4 cylinder is not adequate for the job.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You will hate yourself and your Jeep if you buy the 4 cyl. Sorry and apologies to the 4 banger croud but the Jeep is a steel vehicle and is there fore heavy. the 4 cylinder is not adequate for the job.
The 4 cylinder is adequate for most jobs. Just not going up hill very fast.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Before I would ever settle for a 4 cylinder TJ, it would have to be in exceptionally excellent condition with very low miles, completely stock, and priced 30% below an equivalent 6 cylinder TJ in same condition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts