Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've read every "lift" thread on here, including the Teraflex video. So I'm thinking about buying this lift from 4Wheel Parts in Houston and having them install it:

"The TeraFlex 4 Suspension System for the JK gives you everything you need to run up to 37 tires and tackle some serious trails! The System includes 4 extended length coils, upper and lower FlexArms for both the front and rear, front sway bar disconnects, rear track bar bracket, bump stops, and all necessary hardware. This System will allow the use of up to 37" tires (aftermarket wheels with 4.5 backspacing or less are recommended). Fits JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited. Driveline modifications are required" - approx $2200 w/out labor.

I'm buying a 2012 4-Door Sport tomorrow as a third vehicle. I will use it mostly to drive to the airport (which btw has a 6"7 garage) so I don't have to drive my 2500 4x4. On the weekends I'll use it to drive my boys around some family land that gets pretty muddy. Oh, and I'll use it during deer season.

I like the look of a 4 inch lift, with 35s. I realize I could probably go cheaper for my use, but I dont want to go too cheap and regret it later. I figured this lift with Bilstein shocks would be perfect.

Any thoughts? Too much? Not enough? Thanks!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, first let me say it will be your Jeep and doing it up how you like is a big part of the Jeep experience.

OK, that out of the way, what you're talking about is taking a 20lb sledge hammer (4" lift and 35s) and crushing the crap out of a teensie, tiny gnat (occasionally driving somewhere it gets muddy).

If you find yourself torn between being practical and using the "bring a tactical nuke to a gun fight" type logic, refer back to point number one.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Seems like a lot more lift then you need. You can run 35's with lots of room with a 2.5" lift and save yourself a lot of money. I run 35's with a 2.5" TeraFlex spring lift with Bilstein shocks. I put on flat fenders but you don't need to I just like how they look. Here's mine...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just a guess here... but I'm thinking the sales guy at 4wheel parts has been bending your ear. Not knocking 4WP, or a sales guy trying to make a commission, but my experience with those guys is they always try to sell way more than you need. (and IMHO not-so-great kits) You're already at $2200 w/o labor and *Driveline modifications are required" That right there spells MO'MONEY.

Get a Teraflex or AEV 2.5" lift. basically $1000 for parts, no other modifications necessary and you'll have everything you need. Great handling, great look, capability to do what you want, and something that works and won't tear up other components or open a can of worms for everything else.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Some of the stuff that some of you say makes some sense but I look at it this way. With a 4" lift he will be getting more suspension travel, more suspension travel equals better control on the trail. As cool as it looks to have 1 or 2 tires off the ground, it does nothing for helping you navigate trails. Cool photo op is all.
With a lift of that height, he will want to do some other things, driveshafts being the first, which means he will get a lighter, stronger unit than the crap they put on there at the factory. Nothing wrong at all with upgrading weak points.
I suggest you lift it as high as your wallet can afford. Make sure you get the biggest tire you want to run first time out and make sure your tailgate can handle the extra weight. Kudos to the OP for going all in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No knock on teraflex but you might wanna look at the metalcloak lite 3.5" lift. Comes with everything you need and isn't all that much more expensive. Only thing this lift needs that is doesnt come with is an exhaust spacer. Just so you know I in no way work for them or have any affiliation with them but been researching lifts for a while now and these guys have a great rep and product. :thumb:

·
Registered
536 Posts
for 4 arms and coils + bnrackets and no shocks 2200 seems steep to me. At 4" also I'd use a high steering kit. I'd also gussets the axle c's on the front. so tack on another 350-400$ for that.

There is a lot more cost involved going over 3" on a jk you just have to decide if it's worth it for you or not. I would really shop around on kits tho and try to get the best quality/deal I could.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your Jeep looks great - good luck choosing lift.

I agree with you - I like the look of 35's with a 4" lift. I've been contemplating which lift to get to run 35's. I'm probably going with the teraflex 2.5. I don't want to create more issues/expenses with going with a bigger lift (at least not now).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice looking Jeep and thanks for considering our lifts. Just so you know if they are quoting you 2200 for the 8 flex arm kit, part number 1451400, that is a really good deal. If it is for part number 1156400, same kit but no shocks, don't forget to budget in for shocks but that is still a good price on the kit (about 10% off msrp).

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
I think I've read every "lift" thread on here, including the Teraflex video. So I'm thinking about buying this lift from 4Wheel Parts in Houston and having them install it:

"The TeraFlex 4 Suspension System for the JK gives you everything you need to run up to 37 tires and tackle some serious trails! The System includes 4 extended length coils, upper and lower FlexArms for both the front and rear, front sway bar disconnects, rear track bar bracket, bump stops, and all necessary hardware. This System will allow the use of up to 37" tires (aftermarket wheels with 4.5 backspacing or less are recommended). Fits JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited. Driveline modifications are required" - approx $2200 w/out labor.

I'm buying a 2012 4-Door Sport tomorrow as a third vehicle. I will use it mostly to drive to the airport (which btw has a 6"7 garage) so I don't have to drive my 2500 4x4. On the weekends I'll use it to drive my boys around some family land that gets pretty muddy. Oh, and I'll use it during deer season.

I like the look of a 4 inch lift, with 35s. I realize I could probably go cheaper for my use, but I dont want to go too cheap and regret it later. I figured this lift with Bilstein shocks would be perfect.

Check out Rancho 4" Sport lift.You can use the saved $$ to buy a Tom Woods driveshaft if it fails for im still using my factory DS after all these years and my jeep is no mall crawler.

Rancho 4" Sport System in Black for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not that my word really matters but, I am going to be getting the AEV 3.5" lift paired with 35" BFG AT tires on my soon to be mine JKUR. I like the added suspension travel and think a 3.5" lift with 35's looks great IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I always avoid lifting when possible. A 4" lift is not necessary for 35s. No reason to raise your center of gravity. Get a quality 2.5 like a rancho 2.5 trail, rock-krawler, AEV, etc. 2.5" and 35s are perfect.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Room to grow with a 3.5!. Some people like the look better some want more clearance. To each their own. I liked both personally.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

If that's not coming with shocks or a front trackbar (which you'll definitely need at 4"), spend $500 more and get this instead JK Wrangler 3.5" Old Man Emu Duroflex Mid-Arm Suspension System You'll spend a good chunk of that extra $500 on shocks anyway, and this kit already includes them and they were hand picked to match the kit by MC's engineer. You'll need exhaust spacers though. I have one of their lower level kits in 2.5" but it uses the same shocks. It's about a 5" increase over stock travel. You WILL hit the exhaust crossover without spacers and even then you're gonna get close to it (like 1/2" at full droop maybe).

·
Registered
547 Posts
To reaffirm what everyone has been saying, a 4 inch lift is no easy task. New driveshaft, sleeves and gussets, oversize tire carrier (which will run between 500-1500 dollars) regearing to compensate for the bigger tires, extend brake lines, the actual tires... Whew i need to catch my breath

Now, if yoj have enough time and money to spend because you like the look of a 4 inch lift. Do it. But if youre gonna work on a budget, save yourself the stress and stick a with good 2.5 lift. You just dished out plenty of cash on a brand new vehicle, to tack on another 10 grand+ on mods may bring a lot more headaches and empty pockets than you want

·
Registered
576 Posts
Me personally, I want AEV's rear tire carrier/bumper anyway, so I can't buy a "temporary" solution. It would feel like I'm wasting money. I'll probably get the bumper/swingaway first, then the lift, then the tires. I'll have 4.10 gearing already.

Honestly, it comes down to what you really want. "A 2.5 is all you need" isn't a good enough excuse for me to not go more. lol. As long as it's done right the first time, there won't be any headaches. If it sounds too expensive, then yea... I wouldn't go down that road if I were you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input.

How important are the control arms? Even down to a 2.5 lift? I think Rock Krawler is the only one to offer them on a 2.5.

Geometry and ride is obviously important to me.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts