Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the answer I get after I pick a new tire for my 2015 4 door JKU. Can someone please explain in easy terms what exactly does "a stiffer ride" mean? Is it not comfy...too bumpy...not smooth... hard on your kidneys...just what will I feel with let's say an E rated tire compared to a D for example?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
"Stiffer" means not as forgiving. More jarring to some. When there is less give, you typically feel bumps and the road more harshly than a softer, plushy feel. The shock absorption will be transferred to you instead of being eaten up by the vehicle. Whether you will like it more or not in comparison is subjective. It will nose dive less on braking and roll less on turning though.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
A stiffer ride means the Jeep will have a tendency to transfer smaller (higher frequency) bumps and road imperfections to the driver. An overly stiff suspension is annoying to the driver because we are accustomed and expected the suspension and tires to dampen out such perturbations. However, you cannot make that generalization about E vs D load range tires in general. It depends on the design of the tire. Plenty of Jeep owners have lived on E range tires for many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts